Trending: 5-year-old signs her school Christmas performance for deaf parents
Five-year-old Claire Koch has won the hearts of millions around the world through a YouTube her mother posted last Monday.
The video features a school class performance of "Santa Is His Name-O" along with other holiday songs, and while other children perform the practiced hand actions, Claire combines the actions with signing the song for her deaf parents.
Claire's performance has garnered more than 5 million views on YouTube, and she has been featured on national news sites.
Through email, Yahoo contacted Claire's mother, Lori Koch, who explained neither she nor her husband knew what Claire had planned.
"ASL is the first language in our home, so our daughter has been exposed to it since birth," Claire's mother told Yahoo.
The interpreter at Nelson Mandela's funeral has also made headlines for his gibberish sign language. Considering that event, Koch joked with Yahoo that her daughter could have done better.
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Families have become the scapegoat of holiday...
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- How actress Blake Lively's family saves money...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 39
- Families have become the scapegoat of... 9
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 7
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere 5
- Sherry Young: When the scruffy look is... 4
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 4
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3