Trending: 5-year-old signs her school Christmas performance for deaf parents
Five-year-old Claire Koch has won the hearts of millions around the world through a YouTube her mother posted last Monday.
The video features a school class performance of "Santa Is His Name-O" along with other holiday songs, and while other children perform the practiced hand actions, Claire combines the actions with signing the song for her deaf parents.
Claire's performance has garnered more than 5 million views on YouTube, and she has been featured on national news sites.
Through email, Yahoo contacted Claire's mother, Lori Koch, who explained neither she nor her husband knew what Claire had planned.
"ASL is the first language in our home, so our daughter has been exposed to it since birth," Claire's mother told Yahoo.
The interpreter at Nelson Mandela's funeral has also made headlines for his gibberish sign language. Considering that event, Koch joked with Yahoo that her daughter could have done better.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- The dark side of how society treats boys
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Motherhood Matters: What do you focus on?
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Southern California conference... 15
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- Faith and family are driving forces for... 7
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and... 3
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film... 1