Uintah County crash briefly closes U.S. 40, sends 7 to the hospital
GUSHER, Uintah County — A multiple-vehicle crash involving a tractor-trailer truck briefly closed U.S. Highway 40 Saturday night and sent seven people to the hospital with minor injuries, the Utah Highway Patrol said.
The crash happened about 8 p.m. east of Gusher when the driver of a tractor-trailer truck drifted into oncoming traffic and hit a pickup truck, UHP Sgt. Brett Gehring said.
The tractor-trailer truck tore through about 200 feet of guardrail before rolling onto its side, the sergeant said. The pickup truck spun into the westbound lane, hit a Dodge Durango carrying a family of six from Vernal and then overturned, Gehring said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer truck was extricated from the cab of his truck before being taken by ambulance to Uintah Basin Medical Center with what appeared to be minor injuries, the sergeant said.
"He was talking and alert at the hospital," said Gehring, noting that the two people in the pickup truck were treated and released at the crash site.
The family from Vernal — a father, mother and four kids ages 16 through 4 — were also taken to the hospital with "cuts and bruises," Gehring said.
Troopers are still working to determine what caused the driver of the tractor-trailer truck to cross into oncoming traffic.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 36
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 13