Uintah County crash briefly closes U.S. 40, sends 7 to the hospital
GUSHER, Uintah County — A multiple-vehicle crash involving a tractor-trailer truck briefly closed U.S. Highway 40 Saturday night and sent seven people to the hospital with minor injuries, the Utah Highway Patrol said.
The crash happened about 8 p.m. east of Gusher when the driver of a tractor-trailer truck drifted into oncoming traffic and hit a pickup truck, UHP Sgt. Brett Gehring said.
The tractor-trailer truck tore through about 200 feet of guardrail before rolling onto its side, the sergeant said. The pickup truck spun into the westbound lane, hit a Dodge Durango carrying a family of six from Vernal and then overturned, Gehring said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer truck was extricated from the cab of his truck before being taken by ambulance to Uintah Basin Medical Center with what appeared to be minor injuries, the sergeant said.
"He was talking and alert at the hospital," said Gehring, noting that the two people in the pickup truck were treated and released at the crash site.
The family from Vernal — a father, mother and four kids ages 16 through 4 — were also taken to the hospital with "cuts and bruises," Gehring said.
Troopers are still working to determine what caused the driver of the tractor-trailer truck to cross into oncoming traffic.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Sen. Mike Lee 'flattered' but not interested...
- Senator makes good on wager from BYU-Nebraska...
- Poll shows Becker, Biskupski locked in tight...
- Gov. Herbert: Medicaid expansion efforts...
- Woman shot in Millcreek attack moved to...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Armed man arrested at Huntington Power Plant
- Pleasant Grove man pleads no contest to death...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 73
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 41
- Utah's plan for Medicaid expansion is... 29
- Women leaders in Utah forging their own... 17
- Gov. Herbert: Medicaid expansion... 16
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't... 15
- Sen. Mike Lee 'flattered' but not... 15
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor... 14