Uintah County crash briefly closes U.S. 40, sends 7 to the hospital
GUSHER, Uintah County — A multiple-vehicle crash involving a tractor-trailer truck briefly closed U.S. Highway 40 Saturday night and sent seven people to the hospital with minor injuries, the Utah Highway Patrol said.
The crash happened about 8 p.m. east of Gusher when the driver of a tractor-trailer truck drifted into oncoming traffic and hit a pickup truck, UHP Sgt. Brett Gehring said.
The tractor-trailer truck tore through about 200 feet of guardrail before rolling onto its side, the sergeant said. The pickup truck spun into the westbound lane, hit a Dodge Durango carrying a family of six from Vernal and then overturned, Gehring said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer truck was extricated from the cab of his truck before being taken by ambulance to Uintah Basin Medical Center with what appeared to be minor injuries, the sergeant said.
"He was talking and alert at the hospital," said Gehring, noting that the two people in the pickup truck were treated and released at the crash site.
The family from Vernal — a father, mother and four kids ages 16 through 4 — were also taken to the hospital with "cuts and bruises," Gehring said.
Troopers are still working to determine what caused the driver of the tractor-trailer truck to cross into oncoming traffic.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18