If you think the high school dropout rate is too low. In 1994, Congress decreed that by 2000 the graduation rate would be "at least" 90 percent. In 2010 it was 78.2 percent. Increasing the minimum wage would increase the incentive to leave school early. One scholarly study concluded that in states where students may leave school before 18, increases in the minimum wage caused teenage school enrollment to decline.
If the milk of human kindness flows by the quart in your veins, so you should also want to raise the minimum street charity: Take moral grandstanding oblivious of consequences to a new level by requiring anyone who gives money to panhandlers to give a minimum of $10. Beggars may not benefit, but you will admire yourself.
George Will's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity
- About Utah: Biggest weekend of the year at...
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new, less...
- Jay Evensen: Why some mothers kill babies:...
- Letter: Socialism, like salt
- In our opinion: Enhancing safe haven support...
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Why the... 58
- In our opinion: The Ten Commandments in... 53
- Charles Krauthammer: Defend the... 52
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 48
- Robert Bennett: Making our own spending... 40
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 36
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term... 26