UVU basketball: Wolverines travel to Logan to face Utah State
Coming off of a 62-59 win over Weber State, Utah Valley University plays its second straight contest against a school from the Beehive State on Saturday at Utah State. Tipoff from the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum in Logan is set for 7 p.m. with the game airing live on 960 AM the Zone.
The Wolverines (4-5) won their second straight game Wednesday against the Wildcats, getting 14 points from Holton Hunsaker and 13 from Hayes Garrity off the bench. Ben Aird scored seven points against Weber State, tying him with Ronnie Price for second place on the school’s all-time points scored list.
Saturday’s game marks a return to Logan for Mitch Bruneel, who played at Utah State as a sophomore in 2011-12. During that season Bruneel averaged 4.1 ppg, starting nine games for the Aggies. Bruneel is averaging 9.1 points and 4.9 rebounds so far as a Wolverine.
Utah State (5-2) opened the season with five straight wins before consecutive losses to BYU (in Salt Lake City) and home against Pacific. Jared Shaw leads three players averaging double figures in points with 15.9 per game with Spencer Butterfield at 14.3 and Preston Medlin at 13.4 per contest.
“The Aggies return a lot of experience and have length and quickness,” UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. “They present a lot of match up issues for us, both on the interior and the perimeter. Coach Morrill has his team playing well early on this season, like he normally does.”
The Aggies have won all eight prior meetings between the teams, including 69-63 last season in Orem. The last time the teams met in Logan was Dec. 6, 2011, a 63-54 USU victory. This marks the first season for Utah State as members of the Mountain West Conference after eight seasons in the WAC, a league UVU joined this season. USU won four WAC regular season championships during its time in the conference.
Utah Valley will host non-Division I Haskell University next Friday, Dec. 20, before rounding out the pre-Christmas schedule against North Dakota State on Dec. 23 in Orem. Both games will tip at 7:05 p.m. MT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 289
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 53
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37