UVU basketball: Wolverines travel to Logan to face Utah State
Coming off of a 62-59 win over Weber State, Utah Valley University plays its second straight contest against a school from the Beehive State on Saturday at Utah State. Tipoff from the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum in Logan is set for 7 p.m. with the game airing live on 960 AM the Zone.
The Wolverines (4-5) won their second straight game Wednesday against the Wildcats, getting 14 points from Holton Hunsaker and 13 from Hayes Garrity off the bench. Ben Aird scored seven points against Weber State, tying him with Ronnie Price for second place on the school’s all-time points scored list.
Saturday’s game marks a return to Logan for Mitch Bruneel, who played at Utah State as a sophomore in 2011-12. During that season Bruneel averaged 4.1 ppg, starting nine games for the Aggies. Bruneel is averaging 9.1 points and 4.9 rebounds so far as a Wolverine.
Utah State (5-2) opened the season with five straight wins before consecutive losses to BYU (in Salt Lake City) and home against Pacific. Jared Shaw leads three players averaging double figures in points with 15.9 per game with Spencer Butterfield at 14.3 and Preston Medlin at 13.4 per contest.
“The Aggies return a lot of experience and have length and quickness,” UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. “They present a lot of match up issues for us, both on the interior and the perimeter. Coach Morrill has his team playing well early on this season, like he normally does.”
The Aggies have won all eight prior meetings between the teams, including 69-63 last season in Orem. The last time the teams met in Logan was Dec. 6, 2011, a 63-54 USU victory. This marks the first season for Utah State as members of the Mountain West Conference after eight seasons in the WAC, a league UVU joined this season. USU won four WAC regular season championships during its time in the conference.
Utah Valley will host non-Division I Haskell University next Friday, Dec. 20, before rounding out the pre-Christmas schedule against North Dakota State on Dec. 23 in Orem. Both games will tip at 7:05 p.m. MT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic: Allie Moore repeats as...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Smyth reclaims 10K title,...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 51
- ACC media days has some interesting... 46
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24