Iron County deputy injured in shootout with suicidal man
KANARRAVILLE, Iron County — An Iron County sheriff's deputy and a reportedly suicidal man both were shot Friday afternoon when they exchanged gunfire.
Police got a call about 1:45 p.m. from a concerned third party who warned that the man was threatening suicide, Iron County Sheriff's Sgt. Charles Triplett said.
The man exited a trailer when two sheriff's deputies and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper arrived at Red Ledge Campground, 15 N. Main, but he went back inside when he saw the officers, Triplett said.
A SWAT team was called when officers saw the man had a gun. Before the team arrived, the man came back out, fired at the officers and a gunfight ensued. The man and one deputy were shot in the exchange.
Their injuries were not life-threatening. The deputy was released from Valley View Medical Center by 7 p.m., while the man remained hospitalized, Triplett reported.
A recently formed joint task force organized to review officer-involved shootings will investigate the incident, Triplett said. Investigators remained on scene Friday night.
— McKenzie Romero
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 57
- Utah argues for more time to file... 34
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 29
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22
- Government regulation has become like... 22