Iron County deputy injured in shootout with suicidal man
KANARRAVILLE, Iron County — An Iron County sheriff's deputy and a reportedly suicidal man both were shot Friday afternoon when they exchanged gunfire.
Police got a call about 1:45 p.m. from a concerned third party who warned that the man was threatening suicide, Iron County Sheriff's Sgt. Charles Triplett said.
The man exited a trailer when two sheriff's deputies and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper arrived at Red Ledge Campground, 15 N. Main, but he went back inside when he saw the officers, Triplett said.
A SWAT team was called when officers saw the man had a gun. Before the team arrived, the man came back out, fired at the officers and a gunfight ensued. The man and one deputy were shot in the exchange.
Their injuries were not life-threatening. The deputy was released from Valley View Medical Center by 7 p.m., while the man remained hospitalized, Triplett reported.
A recently formed joint task force organized to review officer-involved shootings will investigate the incident, Triplett said. Investigators remained on scene Friday night.
— McKenzie Romero
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 77
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 33
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 31
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 24
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22