Sharing family history: Make your Christmas tree a family tree
Your home is the most important place to display and share your family history. The following are a few ideas to consider that are simple and invite family interaction.
Display your family tree
Consider making a large wall chart and including pictures as well as names and other data or information. The family tree can be simple or fancy, including pictures, symbols, art, color and more.
Share heirlooms and photographs
Pictures and heirlooms make the past come alive. Holding something that once belonged to an ancestor can be a powerful experience.
- By displaying photographs and family heirlooms around your home, family members are constantly reminded of their heritage.
- Develop and tell stories and histories about heirlooms and their owners.
- Pictures are a great way to stimulate memories. Individuals enjoy looking and learning about who is in the picture and discovering his life story. Photographs show how clothing and hairstyles have changed over the years.
Make decorating your Christmas tree a family activity. This year make your holiday tree a family tree by including photos of your living relatives and ancestors. You can purchase ornaments that allow you to insert the photos or create your own ornaments. These ornaments are bound to inspire the sharing of lots of stories and memories. Take note of these to add to your genealogy research.
Barry J. Ewell is author of Family Treasures: 15 Lessons, Tips, and Tricks for Discovering your Family History and founder of MyGenShare.com, an online educational website for genealogy and family history.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS Church...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 94
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- When Satan steals your motherhood 29
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 17