New Disney Channel movie to feature modern mashup of iconic villains' children
What happens when the children of some of Disney's most iconic villains have to come to terms with who their parents are?
Well, we're about to find out.
On Thursday, the Disney Channel announced it has ordered a film focused on the offspring of many Disney iconic villains, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Titled “Descendants,” the live-action adventure comedy will be directed by Kenny Ortega, who directed “High School Musical.”
Set in an idyllic kingdom, headed by the Beast and Belle from “Beauty and the Beast,” the movie will focus on their teenage son who’s about to take over the kingdom and wants to “offer a chance at redemption to the troublemaking offspring of Cruella De Vil (Carlos), Maleficent (Mal), the Evil Queen (Evvie) and Jafar (Jay), who have been imprisoned on a forbidden island with the other villains, sidekicks, evil stepmothers and stepsisters,” The Hollywood Reporter said.
Because of this, the descendants will join a prep school that already houses other Disney heroes, like the Fairy Godmother and Mulan, The Hollywood Reporter said.
“However, the evil teens face a dilemma. Should they follow in their parents' footsteps and help the villains regain power or embrace their goodness and save the kingdom?” asked The Hollywood Reporter.
Variety offered the show’s title image that features the red apple made famous by the Evil Queen from “Snow White.”
“We mined Disney’s treasure trove of stories and developed a new, comedic approach to the fabled characters everyone knows and loves,” said Gary Marsh, Disney Channels Worldwide president and chief creative officer, according to Variety. “The result is a modern and unexpected re-interpretation of classic heritage characters utilizing contemporary, relatable settings and themes.”
And the film should do well for Disney, according to Deadline. Five of the top six films in TV history have been Disney Channel original films, including the “High School Musical” movies, Deadline said.
“Descendants” is slated to begin production in 2015.
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 14
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s... 2
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2