Utah Jazz: Jazz's Alec Burks has taken his game to new level of consistency
Though he’s glad to not have the point-guard duties anymore, Burks credited that opportunity in Burke’s absence for helping him better learn where all of his teammates are supposed to be during plays.
Now he can play like a shooting guard with a point-guard mentality.
“I know where everybody’s going to be at,” he said. “Know the spots to get to.”
Burks also isn’t about to complain about his playing situation. He’s made it known in the past that he wants to be a starter — like most NBA guys, really — but the former Colorado player is carving out a nice niche as that scoring spark off the bench for Utah.
Asked about not finishing a recent close home loss to Portland on the court despite leading the Jazz in scoring, he wasn’t about to criticize Corbin.
“I’ve been at the end of games,” he reminded the reporter. “I trust in Coach Ty and everybody else does.”
Before beginning this brutal stretch of seven of eight games being on the road — from Sacramento, to Friday night's Mile High matchup at Denver, to Miami, Memphis and more — Burks’ response oozed with the brief confidence media members have become accustomed to from this poised player with few words.
“Just play the same as we play at home, just play hard, fight and just keep competing the whole game,” Burks said while talking about how the Jazz can find success on this pre-Christmas schedule. “If we do that, we can win.”
It will certainly help if Burks keeps playing the way he has of late, including his 17-point outing in Wednesday’s 122-101 blowout win in Sacramento.
Now if everybody could just get his first name correct (it's not Alex) and not confuse him with Burke. As ESPN.com's Henry Abbott joked on Twitter on Thursday: "Serious Jazz issue: One mainstay of future has last name Burke. Another: Burks. Moms of Salt Lake City hoops fans don't stand a chance."
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU football what you may have missed: Not...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 107
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 68
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 61
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33