In a full-page ad in the Tribune on Nov. 17, we noticed that over 100 Catholic and Protestant clergy signed a letter encouraging Gov. Gary Herbert to expand Medicaid. Since then we have noted there have been letters in the public forum from physicians, nurses, social workers, other health care providers, small-business owners and prominent citizens also requesting Herbert to expand Medicaid.
During this time we also noted the LDS Church’s apparent neutrality on this question. How can a church remain neutral on this obviously moral issue? This could be the most important decision Herbert will make as our governor. We hope he can be persuaded to make the right choice.
Richard and Myrna Paxton
Salt Lake City
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- Letter: Police not the problem
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 61
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 41
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30