Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing, threatening Utah patient released from jail
After court Thursday, Lamb said he intends to review video and audio recordings of the police interviews with his client, as well as the circumstances surrounding Shumway's meeting with the licensing office investigator, to ensure that his rights weren't violated.
"He is very compliant," Lamb said. "He respects authority. He respects his supervisors. He respects law enforcement. He respects his family. So he his wanting to please and help out as best he can.
"He is completely confused by these allegations," Lamb added. "He doesn't understand where they came from, and any 'letter of apology' has to be examined in light of the circumstances in which it was obtained."
Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote would not comment on the letter police apparently asked Shumway to write, saying he wasn't there when it was written. He did, however, defend the speed with which the case moved from the alleged victim's initial report to the filing of charges.
"The investigators in our office were concerned that something might happen to someone else," Foote said. "We wanted to keep the public safe at this point. That was our main priority."
Investigators are continuing to work the case, the prosecutor said. They have not received any new allegations against Shumway from his time at either Uintah Basin Medical Center or St. Mark's, Foote said.
Shumway was released from the Duchesne County Jail just before 5 p.m. Thursday. His next court appearance is set for Feb. 7.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 78
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17