Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing, threatening Utah patient released from jail
After court Thursday, Lamb said he intends to review video and audio recordings of the police interviews with his client, as well as the circumstances surrounding Shumway's meeting with the licensing office investigator, to ensure that his rights weren't violated.
"He is very compliant," Lamb said. "He respects authority. He respects his supervisors. He respects law enforcement. He respects his family. So he his wanting to please and help out as best he can.
"He is completely confused by these allegations," Lamb added. "He doesn't understand where they came from, and any 'letter of apology' has to be examined in light of the circumstances in which it was obtained."
Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote would not comment on the letter police apparently asked Shumway to write, saying he wasn't there when it was written. He did, however, defend the speed with which the case moved from the alleged victim's initial report to the filing of charges.
"The investigators in our office were concerned that something might happen to someone else," Foote said. "We wanted to keep the public safe at this point. That was our main priority."
Investigators are continuing to work the case, the prosecutor said. They have not received any new allegations against Shumway from his time at either Uintah Basin Medical Center or St. Mark's, Foote said.
Shumway was released from the Duchesne County Jail just before 5 p.m. Thursday. His next court appearance is set for Feb. 7.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23