The kids paused to ask him about callings they had never heard of before told them, for instance, all the service provided by our current ward missionaries.
Before the quiz became a group effort, I had each count how many names and faces they successfully matched with ward callings. The results were, admittedly, pitiful. Our grand champion tallied only 15.
I asked if they could imagine themselves in any of the callings on the list. “Will you work in the family history library someday or teach Primary? Will you be a music director or clerk?”
At the end, our guest bore testimony of the importance of every calling and every person who participates in church service. He confessed to the difficulties of filling those calling rosters with people who are committed and ready for the spirit to guide their efforts on a regular basis. He encouraged class members to be valiant in their responsibilities now and prepare for more to come, as well as the blessings that are rewarded. He testified that even with his young family and demanding career, that he never feels balanced unless he makes his church service a high priority — not just on Sundays, but every day.
I concurred wholeheartedly and we all joined together in being more grateful for all the vital people who serve and do the charitable work that Jesus would do if he were here.
This column is dedicated to the Revelli family — the most energetic, creative and committed family our Montana ward has ever been blessed to witness. Watch out Albuquerque, here they come. Hope you like cotton candy.
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Family experiences a memorial miracle
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- How cemeteries and smartphones play a role in...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 134
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 78
- Lindsey Stirling responds to modesty... 24
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 21
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4