The kids paused to ask him about callings they had never heard of before told them, for instance, all the service provided by our current ward missionaries.
Before the quiz became a group effort, I had each count how many names and faces they successfully matched with ward callings. The results were, admittedly, pitiful. Our grand champion tallied only 15.
I asked if they could imagine themselves in any of the callings on the list. “Will you work in the family history library someday or teach Primary? Will you be a music director or clerk?”
At the end, our guest bore testimony of the importance of every calling and every person who participates in church service. He confessed to the difficulties of filling those calling rosters with people who are committed and ready for the spirit to guide their efforts on a regular basis. He encouraged class members to be valiant in their responsibilities now and prepare for more to come, as well as the blessings that are rewarded. He testified that even with his young family and demanding career, that he never feels balanced unless he makes his church service a high priority — not just on Sundays, but every day.
I concurred wholeheartedly and we all joined together in being more grateful for all the vital people who serve and do the charitable work that Jesus would do if he were here.
This column is dedicated to the Revelli family — the most energetic, creative and committed family our Montana ward has ever been blessed to witness. Watch out Albuquerque, here they come. Hope you like cotton candy.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- Christmas without Jesus
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 43
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 9