Real Salt Lake: Who could replace Jason Kreis at the helm?
Tom Smart, Deseret News
It wasn't a surprise to many when it was announced that Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis would be taking the coaching job at New York City FC. The New York City club will become the 20th Major League Soccer franchise to join the league in 2015.
"The opportunity to develop the first professional club in New York City was impossible to pass up,” said Jason Kreis.
Kreis was the first player in RSL history and the only player to have his number retired by the club. Kreis played two seasons for RSL before taking over the coaching ranks for the last seven seasons. Kreis was only the second head coach under former owner Dave Checketts.
"Jason is one of the true pioneers of Major League Soccer and a leader any team would be proud to have at the helm," said NYCFC sporting director Claudio Reyna via a press release. "His skills and experience, together with his commitment to quality football make him the ideal choice to lead New York City FC in its first season and beyond. He has already left a historic mark on the league, both as a player and coach and we have every confidence in him continuing to do so at New York City FC."
So who could take over the reins for RSL?
Bill Riley, tweeted that the top three candidates to replace Kreis include former RSL coach Robin Fraser, current RSL assistant coach Jeff Cassar and former MLS striker Eric Wynalda.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 84
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 38
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8