Real Salt Lake: Who could replace Jason Kreis at the helm?
Tom Smart, Deseret News
It wasn't a surprise to many when it was announced that Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis would be taking the coaching job at New York City FC. The New York City club will become the 20th Major League Soccer franchise to join the league in 2015.
"The opportunity to develop the first professional club in New York City was impossible to pass up,” said Jason Kreis.
Kreis was the first player in RSL history and the only player to have his number retired by the club. Kreis played two seasons for RSL before taking over the coaching ranks for the last seven seasons. Kreis was only the second head coach under former owner Dave Checketts.
"Jason is one of the true pioneers of Major League Soccer and a leader any team would be proud to have at the helm," said NYCFC sporting director Claudio Reyna via a press release. "His skills and experience, together with his commitment to quality football make him the ideal choice to lead New York City FC in its first season and beyond. He has already left a historic mark on the league, both as a player and coach and we have every confidence in him continuing to do so at New York City FC."
So who could take over the reins for RSL?
Bill Riley, tweeted that the top three candidates to replace Kreis include former RSL coach Robin Fraser, current RSL assistant coach Jeff Cassar and former MLS striker Eric Wynalda.
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 23
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22