If people plant seeds, like for carrots or tomatoes, they shouldn’t expect something different to grow.
“Seeds may be planted (in our minds) that we don’t want there,” said Edmunds, an author and speaker, with her signature wit.
When that happens, change your mind.
• Plant good words and weed regularly
And, at times, weeds will grow that unless caught while they are young and easy to pull out, will be difficult to remove later, Edmunds said.
“If we don’t plant good words in our minds and hearts, then evil weeds might grow,” Edmunds said.
Weed out those idle thoughts and plant thoughts of virtue.
“Plant good words and ideas,” she added. What if there was a seed store for the virtues and ideas needed to cultivate? Which ones would you pick?
• Think on purpose
“There are many things we can’t control, but we can control our thoughts,” Edmunds said.
Be careful with what movies and books catch your attention along with what headlines and links you click on, she suggests.
“A mighty change of heart starts with a mighty change of mind,” Edmunds said.
In Mosiah 4:30, King Benjamin counseled his people to watch their thoughts.
“What do you think about when you’re not thinking about anything?” she asked.
• Make time to ponder and meditate
“Inspiration comes in peaceful, quiet settings,” Edmunds said.
Making time to meditate and ponder helps give time for reflection and to “let heaven speak to you.”
Pondering leaves time to ask questions and looking at what is working in life and what might not be helping, Edmunds said.
Each person is different in how he or she finds time to ponder and meditate.
Edmunds pointed out that President Gordon B. Hinckley was pondering when he received the inspiration for the design for small temples.
When Jesus Christ visited the Americas after his resurrection, he sent the people home with instructions to ponder (see 3 Nephi 17:3).
“Think more often of him, think deeper, think higher,” she said. “If needed, change your mind.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological accounts...
- 2016 Republican Party Platform offers praise...
- Site that some biblical scholars say is the...
- A majority of Americans believe the next U.S....
- LDS general authorities and their church...
- Taylor Halverson: When former Gov. Boggs'...
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 35
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 26
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 18
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 10
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 9
- Trump sparks activists' quest to... 7