Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug": 3 points for parents
Violence: Much fighting occurs with many different weapons. The Dwarves and Bilbo fight off spiders. Swords are used frequently to defend and to harm. Arrows are shot into people and creatures. Much of the fighting is intense and fast-paced. A dragon breathes fire at dwarves and Bilbo.
Gore: Multiple creatures are decapitated or shot in the head. Some heads are used as 3D gimmicks. Limbs are seen being cut off. Arrows go through heads. Decapitated bodies are seen moving. A wound is shown. A group of dead and decaying bodies is discovered.
Images: Some frightening imagery such as large spiders, and a bear chasing and attacking the group. Some orcs are gruesome. There is a battle with both light and dark magic. The dragon and the giant spiders could scare children. A man is seen naked from behind but it is non-sexual and very low light. The company experiences hallucinations in a forest.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer. You can see his reviews at http://familymanmovieblog.blogspot.com/.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- 11 movies to watch out for this fall
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- When it comes to TV's future, Millennials...
- Miss America: More to worry about than red cup
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite abuse charge
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 13
- NFL to look into its handling of Rice case 8
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 4
- Former NFL QB Scott Mitchell goes on... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 1
- When it comes to TV's future,... 1