Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug": 3 points for parents
Violence: Much fighting occurs with many different weapons. The Dwarves and Bilbo fight off spiders. Swords are used frequently to defend and to harm. Arrows are shot into people and creatures. Much of the fighting is intense and fast-paced. A dragon breathes fire at dwarves and Bilbo.
Gore: Multiple creatures are decapitated or shot in the head. Some heads are used as 3D gimmicks. Limbs are seen being cut off. Arrows go through heads. Decapitated bodies are seen moving. A wound is shown. A group of dead and decaying bodies is discovered.
Images: Some frightening imagery such as large spiders, and a bear chasing and attacking the group. Some orcs are gruesome. There is a battle with both light and dark magic. The dragon and the giant spiders could scare children. A man is seen naked from behind but it is non-sexual and very low light. The company experiences hallucinations in a forest.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer. You can see his reviews at http://familymanmovieblog.blogspot.com/.
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't save...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1