Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug": 3 points for parents
Violence: Much fighting occurs with many different weapons. The Dwarves and Bilbo fight off spiders. Swords are used frequently to defend and to harm. Arrows are shot into people and creatures. Much of the fighting is intense and fast-paced. A dragon breathes fire at dwarves and Bilbo.
Gore: Multiple creatures are decapitated or shot in the head. Some heads are used as 3D gimmicks. Limbs are seen being cut off. Arrows go through heads. Decapitated bodies are seen moving. A wound is shown. A group of dead and decaying bodies is discovered.
Images: Some frightening imagery such as large spiders, and a bear chasing and attacking the group. Some orcs are gruesome. There is a battle with both light and dark magic. The dragon and the giant spiders could scare children. A man is seen naked from behind but it is non-sexual and very low light. The company experiences hallucinations in a forest.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer. You can see his reviews at http://familymanmovieblog.blogspot.com/.
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- For gamers, combating online abuse not easy
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Salt Lake Comic Con and Utah Symphony present...
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 1