Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug": 3 points for parents
Violence: Much fighting occurs with many different weapons. The Dwarves and Bilbo fight off spiders. Swords are used frequently to defend and to harm. Arrows are shot into people and creatures. Much of the fighting is intense and fast-paced. A dragon breathes fire at dwarves and Bilbo.
Gore: Multiple creatures are decapitated or shot in the head. Some heads are used as 3D gimmicks. Limbs are seen being cut off. Arrows go through heads. Decapitated bodies are seen moving. A wound is shown. A group of dead and decaying bodies is discovered.
Images: Some frightening imagery such as large spiders, and a bear chasing and attacking the group. Some orcs are gruesome. There is a battle with both light and dark magic. The dragon and the giant spiders could scare children. A man is seen naked from behind but it is non-sexual and very low light. The company experiences hallucinations in a forest.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer. You can see his reviews at http://familymanmovieblog.blogspot.com/.
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Sundance's 'Fiddler' makes tradition fun, fresh
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 9
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2