Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug": 3 points for parents
Violence: Much fighting occurs with many different weapons. The Dwarves and Bilbo fight off spiders. Swords are used frequently to defend and to harm. Arrows are shot into people and creatures. Much of the fighting is intense and fast-paced. A dragon breathes fire at dwarves and Bilbo.
Gore: Multiple creatures are decapitated or shot in the head. Some heads are used as 3D gimmicks. Limbs are seen being cut off. Arrows go through heads. Decapitated bodies are seen moving. A wound is shown. A group of dead and decaying bodies is discovered.
Images: Some frightening imagery such as large spiders, and a bear chasing and attacking the group. Some orcs are gruesome. There is a battle with both light and dark magic. The dragon and the giant spiders could scare children. A man is seen naked from behind but it is non-sexual and very low light. The company experiences hallucinations in a forest.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer. You can see his reviews at http://familymanmovieblog.blogspot.com/.
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Suspenseful 'Maze Runner' dodges limitations...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Sherry Young: The world is indeed a glorious...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2