BYU basketball report card: Prairie View A&M brings out the best in BYU
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — Well, that settles it. BYU is the greatest team of all-time.
Or, maybe the Cougars just looked that way in their 100-52 win over the Prairie View A&M Panthers Wednesday night at the Marriott Center.
One of the only real question after this game is how in the world did Texas A&M only beat the Panthers by 10 earlier this season?
Prairie View A&M trivia buffs remember that Mr. T attended Prairie View on a football scholarship, although he was expelled after just one year. Former NFL safety Ken Houston, a 12-time Pro Bowler and member of the NFL Hall of Fame, graduated from the school after it gave him his only scholarship offer out of high school. So did Rock & Roll Hall-of-Famer Charles Brown.
None of that helped Prairie View's men’s basketball team, however, as the Panthers lost to the Cougars by 48 points.
BYU outshot the Panthers 61 percent to 29 percent, made six more 3-pointers on 13 less attempts, and dominated in rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers and fouls committed.
On the bright side, Prairie View A&M outshot BYU from the foul line, 71 percent to 69 percent.
On an even brighter side, BYU didn’t play zone defense.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a whole-hearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25