Quoting a part of Bob Bennett's article ("Create wealth before distributing it," Dec. 9): "... the golden eggs should be distributed [to the poor], but the most important thing to do to alleviate poverty is to make sure the golden goose stays healthy enough to continue to lay them."
I get the feeling many believe they are entitled to have constant deliveries from the government's endless shelves of golden eggs, that they exist on the shelves from some unidentifiable bird, without any planning, effort or work. If we're dealing with a bunch of sick golden geese that can't perform, we're not going to get even one egg until they're fixed and working. As Bennett said, "wealth is created ..."
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 24
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 18
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16