What managing money has taught me about judging others unfairly
You also don’t want to co-sign on a loan for someone who you know is not a good credit risk, making it so you end up getting stuck with those payments. In situations where family and close friends are involved, it is important that you understand that your love for them is not diminished by your unwillingness to sacrifice your own financial security for their irresponsible behavior.
Why you shouldn’t judge most of the time
In most cases, when you judge other people based on their financial decisions, you’re just being a hypocrite. In fact, if someone else were to examine your spending, they might find areas where you either waste money or are ridiculously cheap. Of course, each of us would probably rationalize why our decisions are OK but someone else’s decisions aren’t. Some people think that spending money on traveling is extremely wasteful, but they spend $300 a month going out to eat. It’s important that you don’t assign your values to other people. We all have our preferences and we live in a society that allows us to choose how to live our lives.
This world needs a lot more positivity in it. When we judge someone because of their spending habits, we automatically add more negativity to that relationship, and it’s hard to erase. I’ve developed great relationships with people who originally irked me with some of their money habits, but it was hard for me to overcome that negative impression I had of them. With some people, that negative impression never went away. I could be missing out on a very positive and meaningful relationship.
It’s important to remember that personal finance is personal. Judging someone else’s habits can make us feel better about our own bad habits, but it’s really just decreasing the likelihood that we will take action in changing ourselves.
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 4
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Government unlikely... 3