This easy and versatile dessert can be made as one 9- or 10-inch tart or 4 individual tarts.
SUGAR COOKIE CRUST
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
1¼ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light. Add flour, salt, milk, and vanilla; beat until mixture is moist and crumbly (it should clump together when pressed between fingers). Place dough into a 9- or 10-inch tart pan and press it evenly across the bottom and up the sides.
To use with a no-bake filling: Bake 25 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool. To use with a baked filling: Fill with desired filling and bake for 25 minutes or until crust edges are golden.
HOMEMADE VANILLA CUSTARD
Prep time: 22 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and milk to a boil over medium heat (approximately 20 minutes), whisking constantly. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.
Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl; add butter and vanilla. Stir well. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of custard to prevent “skin” from forming. Chill 2 hours, removing plastic and stirring occasionally. When custard mixture is completely cooled, spoon into sugar cookie crust.
RASPBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
½ cup fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup heavy cream, chilled well
Mash raspberries lightly with a fork until saucy but still chunky. In a medium bowl, whip cream and powdered sugar to form stiff peaks. Gently fold mashed raspberries into whipped cream. Spoon or pipe whipped cream on top of custard.
— "Everyday Gourmet Cookbook," Alice Osborne, Jeanne Wolfley and Kaycee Leishman
Kaylene Morrill Wheeler is a freelance writer. Email: email@example.com
- Why 'The Giver' is more relevant than...
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews nearly...
- Father of 4 Roger Federer gives...
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- No ring, no problem for these 10 guys
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Excerpt from 'The...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of Utah...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Excerpt from 'The... 32
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney accepts ALS... 27
- How to eat on just $4 a day 16
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common... 14
- Here's what you can do to protect your... 14
- Let kids play outside alone? It should... 10
- Hey moms: Your neighbor's religion... 9