This easy and versatile dessert can be made as one 9- or 10-inch tart or 4 individual tarts.
SUGAR COOKIE CRUST
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
1¼ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light. Add flour, salt, milk, and vanilla; beat until mixture is moist and crumbly (it should clump together when pressed between fingers). Place dough into a 9- or 10-inch tart pan and press it evenly across the bottom and up the sides.
To use with a no-bake filling: Bake 25 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool. To use with a baked filling: Fill with desired filling and bake for 25 minutes or until crust edges are golden.
HOMEMADE VANILLA CUSTARD
Prep time: 22 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and milk to a boil over medium heat (approximately 20 minutes), whisking constantly. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.
Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl; add butter and vanilla. Stir well. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of custard to prevent “skin” from forming. Chill 2 hours, removing plastic and stirring occasionally. When custard mixture is completely cooled, spoon into sugar cookie crust.
RASPBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
½ cup fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup heavy cream, chilled well
Mash raspberries lightly with a fork until saucy but still chunky. In a medium bowl, whip cream and powdered sugar to form stiff peaks. Gently fold mashed raspberries into whipped cream. Spoon or pipe whipped cream on top of custard.
— "Everyday Gourmet Cookbook," Alice Osborne, Jeanne Wolfley and Kaycee Leishman
Kaylene Morrill Wheeler is a freelance writer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- 'Duck Dynasty' stars reveal their 'guide to a...
- Motherhood Matters: For the lonely mothers in...
- ‘Project (Un)Popular’ explores...
- 'Warriors Over the Wasatch' on track to...
- Scammers take more than money when they...
- 45 new locations open to provide free summer...
- Centerville’s July 4th celebration...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13
- Family searches for answers after... 11
- 'Warriors Over the Wasatch' on track to... 10
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: How to get happiness... 4
- Scammers take more than money when they... 2
- Erin Stewart: 5 tips for moms to... 2