Walmart's layaway program will run until Dec. 13. Kmart's layaway program is available to customers during the holidays and year-round.
The media isn't the only one promoting the idea of paying for a stranger's Christmas. The blogosphere has added its voice to the phenomenon as well.
It started with a desire to help others. Rants from Mommyland bloggers, Julianna W. Miner, Claire Goss and Kristin Wilson Keppler, who blog under the pseudonyms Lydia, Guru and Kate respectively, were unable to comment on this story, but shared a blog post earlier this month about their plans to pay off layaway accounts anonymously.
"This time of year, I've always enjoyed hearing about people who go to places like Walmart and Toys R Us and pay off the layaways of total strangers. I mentioned it to Kate and Guru, who enthusiastically agreed that we should give it a try. While wearing elf hats," Lydia posted.
Included with her invitation to her readers to participate in holiday giving are some tips for paying off a stranger's layaway account.
"Pick a time when you know the store will not be crowded. You can't expect a customer service representative to work with you in this if they're swamped," according to the blog. "If when you get there the customer service person seems annoyed by you or doesn't get it, talk to someone else, come back later, or got to another store. Don't get upset, just roll with it."
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Stress, chocolate and loneliness: How...
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow sliding...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The Clean Cut: Kelly Clarkson announces...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow... 1
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0