Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment' award on 'Today' show for viral video
For the first time, the "Today" show hosted its own video awards, selecting five of the top "Most Memorable Moments" from the viral videos it highlighted this year.
Videos in the running included the father who celebrated a passing grade with his son; a baby who was brought to tears while hearing her mother sing; a mother's reaction to learning she will be a grandma; and Utah's very own Jason Mortensen and his reaction to his "eye-candy" wife, Candice, as he was coming out of anesthesia.
Voting closed on Dec. 6, 2013, and Jason and Candice Mortensen were announced as the winners Tuesday morning.
Although the couple never expected any of this media attention, they are grateful that so many have been drawn to the video which highlights the love that Jason shows his wife — even when he doesn't know who she is.
"We're glad that it can be a positive thing," Jason told the Deseret News. "There are a lot of viral videos out there that offend people or are rude, or somebody's a victim of some prank or something. We're just grateful that this is something that can remind people the importance of family."
Jason and Candice also confirmed their decision to adopt a child from Uganda, and they are currently in the middle of this process.
"We just try to share with people that we are a normal couple. We're just two normal people," Jason said. "We're Christians, and we believe that family is the most important thing in the world, and our marriage is the most important thing in the world. It's something we focus on all the time."
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Two powerful forces make American families...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- 14 potential signs of autism you may be...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Two powerful forces make American... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 9
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 4