Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment' award on 'Today' show for viral video
For the first time, the "Today" show hosted its own video awards, selecting five of the top "Most Memorable Moments" from the viral videos it highlighted this year.
Videos in the running included the father who celebrated a passing grade with his son; a baby who was brought to tears while hearing her mother sing; a mother's reaction to learning she will be a grandma; and Utah's very own Jason Mortensen and his reaction to his "eye-candy" wife, Candice, as he was coming out of anesthesia.
Voting closed on Dec. 6, 2013, and Jason and Candice Mortensen were announced as the winners Tuesday morning.
Although the couple never expected any of this media attention, they are grateful that so many have been drawn to the video which highlights the love that Jason shows his wife — even when he doesn't know who she is.
"We're glad that it can be a positive thing," Jason told the Deseret News. "There are a lot of viral videos out there that offend people or are rude, or somebody's a victim of some prank or something. We're just grateful that this is something that can remind people the importance of family."
Jason and Candice also confirmed their decision to adopt a child from Uganda, and they are currently in the middle of this process.
"We just try to share with people that we are a normal couple. We're just two normal people," Jason said. "We're Christians, and we believe that family is the most important thing in the world, and our marriage is the most important thing in the world. It's something we focus on all the time."
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Top parenting ideas,...
- Simple cheese and chive baguettes dress up...
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail... 4
- LDS family runs a nonalcoholic apple... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Heart-pounding 'Jason Bourne' makes the... 1