Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment' award on 'Today' show for viral video
For the first time, the "Today" show hosted its own video awards, selecting five of the top "Most Memorable Moments" from the viral videos it highlighted this year.
Videos in the running included the father who celebrated a passing grade with his son; a baby who was brought to tears while hearing her mother sing; a mother's reaction to learning she will be a grandma; and Utah's very own Jason Mortensen and his reaction to his "eye-candy" wife, Candice, as he was coming out of anesthesia.
Voting closed on Dec. 6, 2013, and Jason and Candice Mortensen were announced as the winners Tuesday morning.
Although the couple never expected any of this media attention, they are grateful that so many have been drawn to the video which highlights the love that Jason shows his wife — even when he doesn't know who she is.
"We're glad that it can be a positive thing," Jason told the Deseret News. "There are a lot of viral videos out there that offend people or are rude, or somebody's a victim of some prank or something. We're just grateful that this is something that can remind people the importance of family."
Jason and Candice also confirmed their decision to adopt a child from Uganda, and they are currently in the middle of this process.
"We just try to share with people that we are a normal couple. We're just two normal people," Jason said. "We're Christians, and we believe that family is the most important thing in the world, and our marriage is the most important thing in the world. It's something we focus on all the time."
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Southern California conference... 13
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- Erin Stewart: Is free-range parenting... 8
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- The Clean Cut: New BMW i3 Super Bowl ad... 2
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- Emma Watson to star in live-action... 1