Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment' award on 'Today' show for viral video
For the first time, the "Today" show hosted its own video awards, selecting five of the top "Most Memorable Moments" from the viral videos it highlighted this year.
Videos in the running included the father who celebrated a passing grade with his son; a baby who was brought to tears while hearing her mother sing; a mother's reaction to learning she will be a grandma; and Utah's very own Jason Mortensen and his reaction to his "eye-candy" wife, Candice, as he was coming out of anesthesia.
Voting closed on Dec. 6, 2013, and Jason and Candice Mortensen were announced as the winners Tuesday morning.
Although the couple never expected any of this media attention, they are grateful that so many have been drawn to the video which highlights the love that Jason shows his wife — even when he doesn't know who she is.
"We're glad that it can be a positive thing," Jason told the Deseret News. "There are a lot of viral videos out there that offend people or are rude, or somebody's a victim of some prank or something. We're just grateful that this is something that can remind people the importance of family."
Jason and Candice also confirmed their decision to adopt a child from Uganda, and they are currently in the middle of this process.
"We just try to share with people that we are a normal couple. We're just two normal people," Jason said. "We're Christians, and we believe that family is the most important thing in the world, and our marriage is the most important thing in the world. It's something we focus on all the time."
- Ask Angela: He won't marry me; should I keep...
- The Clean Cut: Harry Potter, Star Wars and...
- Erin Stewart: Is nagging hurting your marriage?
- Twila Van Leer: What family history treasures...
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah delegation...
- ESPN NBA draft expert Chad Ford is also a...
- The Clean Cut: Babies dress up as famous 'old...
- ‘My Story Matters’ gives refugees...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 72
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Ask Angela: He won't marry me; should I... 33
- Meet the retired nurse who pays women... 12
- Disney 'princess culture' may not be... 12
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 11
- LDS family stars in new TLC show,... 8
- Erin Stewart: Is nagging hurting your... 7