Wavebreakmedia Ltd, Getty Images/Wavebreak Media
Editor's note: A version of this list ran originally on the personal finance blog Len Penzo dot com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
When it comes to great gift ideas, I always struggle — especially for people who have everything.
My family draws names every year as part of our annual Christmas gift exchange. It’s typically done a year in advance, on Christmas Day, long after all the presents have been opened, and everybody has stuffed themselves on our traditional cavatelli dinner.
I remember one year when I had the misfortune of pulling Uncle Paul’s name out of Santa’s hat. That put me in a tough spot because he’s an octogenarian who has all the money he’ll ever need — so when the guy wants something, he buys it.
Anyway, as soon as I drew his name, I pulled my Aunt Mary Jane aside to get some gift advice, but she was no help. “Paul’s had everything he’s ever wanted since 1979,” she said. Great.
For a moment, I considered trying to make a homemade Christmas gift; but truth be told, I quit working with bird seed, paste and toilet paper rolls after I graduated from kindergarten.
Eventually, I came to realize that there are plenty of great gift ideas for people who have everything — you just have to be willing to think outside the box.
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy:...
- Dave Ramsey says: Pets and rental properties...
- 7 things you can afford that you take for...
- Balancing act: How does your boss feel about...
- Laundry Love: Groups across the nation are...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Some fear auto industry returning to bad habits
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Down payment for love: The costs and... 4
- Some fear auto industry returning to... 3
- US consumer spending dips 0.1 percent 2
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2