Wavebreakmedia Ltd, Getty Images/Wavebreak Media
Editor's note: A version of this list ran originally on the personal finance blog Len Penzo dot com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
When it comes to great gift ideas, I always struggle — especially for people who have everything.
My family draws names every year as part of our annual Christmas gift exchange. It’s typically done a year in advance, on Christmas Day, long after all the presents have been opened, and everybody has stuffed themselves on our traditional cavatelli dinner.
I remember one year when I had the misfortune of pulling Uncle Paul’s name out of Santa’s hat. That put me in a tough spot because he’s an octogenarian who has all the money he’ll ever need — so when the guy wants something, he buys it.
Anyway, as soon as I drew his name, I pulled my Aunt Mary Jane aside to get some gift advice, but she was no help. “Paul’s had everything he’s ever wanted since 1979,” she said. Great.
For a moment, I considered trying to make a homemade Christmas gift; but truth be told, I quit working with bird seed, paste and toilet paper rolls after I graduated from kindergarten.
Eventually, I came to realize that there are plenty of great gift ideas for people who have everything — you just have to be willing to think outside the box.
- The most expensive homes in Utah in 2014
- Why you need to stop buying your kids so many...
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests
- Pope demands just distribution of world's bounty
- What's next for dead malls?
- When low-income housing is converted into...
- Robots will replace 50% of today's...
- Why homeownership is not for everyone
- Japan slides into recession as tax hike... 14
- Robots will replace 50% of today's... 13
- Pope demands just distribution of... 7
- 15 organic fruits and veggies that... 7
- 'Red warning lights' flashing for... 5
- Millennials are quitting their jobs and... 5
- What's next for dead malls? 5
- Are credit cards or consumers to blame... 3