Wavebreakmedia Ltd, Getty Images/Wavebreak Media
Editor's note: A version of this list ran originally on the personal finance blog Len Penzo dot com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
When it comes to great gift ideas, I always struggle — especially for people who have everything.
My family draws names every year as part of our annual Christmas gift exchange. It’s typically done a year in advance, on Christmas Day, long after all the presents have been opened, and everybody has stuffed themselves on our traditional cavatelli dinner.
I remember one year when I had the misfortune of pulling Uncle Paul’s name out of Santa’s hat. That put me in a tough spot because he’s an octogenarian who has all the money he’ll ever need — so when the guy wants something, he buys it.
Anyway, as soon as I drew his name, I pulled my Aunt Mary Jane aside to get some gift advice, but she was no help. “Paul’s had everything he’s ever wanted since 1979,” she said. Great.
For a moment, I considered trying to make a homemade Christmas gift; but truth be told, I quit working with bird seed, paste and toilet paper rolls after I graduated from kindergarten.
Eventually, I came to realize that there are plenty of great gift ideas for people who have everything — you just have to be willing to think outside the box.
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- A Closer Look: Your (online) life after death
- The market power of pumpkin spice
- Balancing act: Sometimes a 'serious' office...
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- These are America's 10 poorest congressmen 3
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- Utah job forecast better than most states 2
- Save money by replacing appliances that... 1
- Retail sales are up since last month 1