Utah basketball: Utes preparing for Idaho State, then BYU
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — At his weekly press conference Monday, Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak’s comments weren’t focused on this weekend’s rivalry game against BYU. He said the mindset right now was on trying to beat Idaho State, the next opponent on the schedule.
“Bill Evans has done a nice job and they have a winning record. Their zone presents some issues and we haven’t been great against that type of defense,” Krystkowiak said in his opening statement. “We have one day to prepare and we will work hard today. Once we get through Tuesday, then we will discuss Saturday’s game.”
The Bengals (3-2) are led by junior swingman Chris Hansen (16 ppg) and senior guard Tomas Sanchez (15.6 ppg).
“They’re great shooters and we will need to be dialed in defensively. We have been presented with a lot of different styles and matchups in the nonconference slate and that’s been a great teaching tool,” Krystkowiak said. “Their backcourt has a lot of firepower and we’ve had breakdowns defensively the last two games. They look to attack and want you to take a lot of 3s. We can’t settle and will need to attack.”
Utah (7-1) enters the game on the heels of a 90-77 win over Fresno State last Saturday. Junior guard Delon Wright led the Utes with 23 points and 12 assists. Jordan Loveridge also had a double-double, finishing with 13 points and 11 rebounds. They were joined by four others who scored in double figures — Renan Lenz (15), Brandon Taylor (12), Jeremy Olsen (12) and Dakarai Tucker (10).
EXTRA STUFF: Evans, who was the head coach at Southern Utah from 1991-2007, is 9-26 since taking over at Idaho State last season. ... Utah leads the nation in two-point shooting at 63.2 percent. ... The Utes lead the all-time series with the Bengals, 24-4.
Idaho State (3-2) at Utah (7-1)
Tuesday, 7 p.m.
TV: Pac-12 Networks
Radio: 700 AM
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 226
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 97
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 82
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 56
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 44
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26