Utah basketball: Utes preparing for Idaho State, then BYU
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — At his weekly press conference Monday, Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak’s comments weren’t focused on this weekend’s rivalry game against BYU. He said the mindset right now was on trying to beat Idaho State, the next opponent on the schedule.
“Bill Evans has done a nice job and they have a winning record. Their zone presents some issues and we haven’t been great against that type of defense,” Krystkowiak said in his opening statement. “We have one day to prepare and we will work hard today. Once we get through Tuesday, then we will discuss Saturday’s game.”
The Bengals (3-2) are led by junior swingman Chris Hansen (16 ppg) and senior guard Tomas Sanchez (15.6 ppg).
“They’re great shooters and we will need to be dialed in defensively. We have been presented with a lot of different styles and matchups in the nonconference slate and that’s been a great teaching tool,” Krystkowiak said. “Their backcourt has a lot of firepower and we’ve had breakdowns defensively the last two games. They look to attack and want you to take a lot of 3s. We can’t settle and will need to attack.”
Utah (7-1) enters the game on the heels of a 90-77 win over Fresno State last Saturday. Junior guard Delon Wright led the Utes with 23 points and 12 assists. Jordan Loveridge also had a double-double, finishing with 13 points and 11 rebounds. They were joined by four others who scored in double figures — Renan Lenz (15), Brandon Taylor (12), Jeremy Olsen (12) and Dakarai Tucker (10).
EXTRA STUFF: Evans, who was the head coach at Southern Utah from 1991-2007, is 9-26 since taking over at Idaho State last season. ... Utah leads the nation in two-point shooting at 63.2 percent. ... The Utes lead the all-time series with the Bengals, 24-4.
Idaho State (3-2) at Utah (7-1)
Tuesday, 7 p.m.
TV: Pac-12 Networks
Radio: 700 AM
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Hollis column: How well will 'Big Five'...
- College football predictions: How will... 67
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 38
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30
- UCLA defensive end Kylie Fitts... 30