Dick Harmon: SUU extends Lamb's contract through 2020
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University locked up head football coach Ed Lamb through 2020 after the Thunderbird coach led SUU to its first-ever NCAA football playoff against Sam Houston State.
Lamb, a former BYU graduate assistant coach, was rumored to be a prime target of Weber State University in recent days. According to sources in Cedar City, Weber State had made a strong push for Lamb to lead the Wildcat program and SUU moved to extend his contract as a result.
SUU finished 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Big Sky Conference and won three of its last four games before bowing to 14th-ranked Sam Houston State in the first round of the FCS playoffs.
Lamb was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award for the second time in the past four seasons this year. It is an award given to the NCAA Division I FCS Coach of the Year.
According to Internet reports, former BYU head coach Gary Crowton and Cougar offensive coordinator Brandon Doman could be in discussions for the opening at Weber State. Calls to Doman on Monday were not returned.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- RSL hangs on to defeat Houston, thanks to...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 101
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 64
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 30
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 27
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14