Dick Harmon: SUU extends Lamb's contract through 2020
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University locked up head football coach Ed Lamb through 2020 after the Thunderbird coach led SUU to its first-ever NCAA football playoff against Sam Houston State.
Lamb, a former BYU graduate assistant coach, was rumored to be a prime target of Weber State University in recent days. According to sources in Cedar City, Weber State had made a strong push for Lamb to lead the Wildcat program and SUU moved to extend his contract as a result.
SUU finished 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Big Sky Conference and won three of its last four games before bowing to 14th-ranked Sam Houston State in the first round of the FCS playoffs.
Lamb was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award for the second time in the past four seasons this year. It is an award given to the NCAA Division I FCS Coach of the Year.
According to Internet reports, former BYU head coach Gary Crowton and Cougar offensive coordinator Brandon Doman could be in discussions for the opening at Weber State. Calls to Doman on Monday were not returned.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but will...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- High school track: Top performances from 2015
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Little offense as main players sit out... 102
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 44
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 30
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 13
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but... 13