Dick Harmon: SUU extends Lamb's contract through 2020
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University locked up head football coach Ed Lamb through 2020 after the Thunderbird coach led SUU to its first-ever NCAA football playoff against Sam Houston State.
Lamb, a former BYU graduate assistant coach, was rumored to be a prime target of Weber State University in recent days. According to sources in Cedar City, Weber State had made a strong push for Lamb to lead the Wildcat program and SUU moved to extend his contract as a result.
SUU finished 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Big Sky Conference and won three of its last four games before bowing to 14th-ranked Sam Houston State in the first round of the FCS playoffs.
Lamb was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award for the second time in the past four seasons this year. It is an award given to the NCAA Division I FCS Coach of the Year.
According to Internet reports, former BYU head coach Gary Crowton and Cougar offensive coordinator Brandon Doman could be in discussions for the opening at Weber State. Calls to Doman on Monday were not returned.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45