Dick Harmon: SUU extends Lamb's contract through 2020
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University locked up head football coach Ed Lamb through 2020 after the Thunderbird coach led SUU to its first-ever NCAA football playoff against Sam Houston State.
Lamb, a former BYU graduate assistant coach, was rumored to be a prime target of Weber State University in recent days. According to sources in Cedar City, Weber State had made a strong push for Lamb to lead the Wildcat program and SUU moved to extend his contract as a result.
SUU finished 8-4 overall and 5-2 in the Big Sky Conference and won three of its last four games before bowing to 14th-ranked Sam Houston State in the first round of the FCS playoffs.
Lamb was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award for the second time in the past four seasons this year. It is an award given to the NCAA Division I FCS Coach of the Year.
According to Internet reports, former BYU head coach Gary Crowton and Cougar offensive coordinator Brandon Doman could be in discussions for the opening at Weber State. Calls to Doman on Monday were not returned.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45