Utah State football: Aggie defense plays well, but offense disappoints in MWC title game loss to Fresno State
Utah State had kept it close in the early going, allowing just a 30-yard field goal by Colin McGuire in the first quarter.
Field position was the key, as the ball was in the Aggies' half most of the time, and the Bulldogs finally got in the end zone with 13:40 left in the first half on a 3-yard pass from Carr to Justin Johnson.
The Bulldogs added another TD later in the quarter as Carr hit Isaiah Burse with a 9-yard pass to make it 17-0.
The Aggies finally picked up some offensive yardage on a 42-yard pass from Garretson to Ronald Butler, but four plays later, Garretson’s pass was intercepted by Derron Smith at the 2.
Another long pass to Butler put the Aggies in field goal range, but Nick Diaz’ 42-yard attempt was wide left, leaving the Aggies scoreless.
It looked like the Bulldogs were about to take a 24-0 halftime lead with the ball at the USU 10-yard line and 17 seconds left. However, a pitch bounced off Marteze Waller and was picked up by USU’s Jake Doughty, who caught it on the run and rambled 86 yards for a touchdown.
Take away three long passes of 48, 43 and 38 yards, and the Aggies totaled just 23 yards on their other 30 first-half plays.
In the third quarter, the Aggies came out with more energy and intercepted Carr. But the offense still couldn’t move as its first two drives resulted in punts and the next was stopped on fourth down by the Bulldogs at the FSU 41.
Then came the fourth-quarter comeback that came up just short.
“We’ve got a bunch of fighters who continued to fight. That’s just who our kids are,’’ said Wells. “They fully expected to come in here and win tonight.’’
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18