UVU baseball: Utah Valley announces 2014 early signing class
Utah Valley University baseball coach Eric Madsen announced the signing of four prep players and one junior college player to National Letters of Intent. Catcher Jake Atkinson headlines the class and is joined by left-handed pitcher and outfielder Jackson Cofer, outfielder Jesse Emery, right-handed pitcher Logan Hold and catcher Mikhail Jones.
“We’re excited and look forward to having these guys in our program,” Madsen said. “They help us fill a need and I expect many of them to come in and compete for an opportunity to play right away. Coaches Cooper Fouts and Dave Carter have done a great job recruiting for us.”
Three of the five signees are from Utah with the other two hailing from the Las Vegas area.
Atkinson is a catcher from Cottonwood HS and Murray, Utah. He was a second team all-state selection as a junior, helping his team to a fourth place finish at 5A Utah State Tournament. Atkinson also received honorable mention All-American and all-region honors. He played for the Utah Bucks in the summer of 2013 and the NorCal Baseball Club in 2011 and 2012. He also played at Perfect Game, receiving 2013 Underclass honorable mention.
Cofer, from Henderson, Nev., preps at Coronado HS, where he helped his team to a 2013 Nevada state championship. The son of former San Francisco 49ers kicker and two-time Super Bowl champion Mike Cofer is part of a two-time region champion team. He also plays football and is the quarterback at Coronado HS.
Emery is from Draper, Utah, and attends Alta HS. Like Atkinson, he also competed at Perfect Game and received 2013 Underclass high honorable mention and 2012 underclass honorable mention.
Hold is the lone junior college signee and will pitch for Southern Nevada this spring. From Las Vegas and Shadow Ridge HS, he was a first-team all-state pitcher after going 10-0 with a 1.16 ERA with 98 strikeouts as a senior. He also helped his team to a division championship and a 30-win season.
Jones, a catcher from Orem, is a four-year starter at catcher for Orem HS. He was named first-team all-region after batting .402 as a junior. Jones was also named to the All-Valley team. He had nine doubles and 22 RBIs in 2013.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 22