MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in penalty kicks, denying RSL the title
RSL's Lovel Palmer hit the crossbar in the 10th round in an exhaustive penalty kick shootout, as Sporting KC won 7-6 after the game was tied 1-1 following overtime.
Real won its 2009 title against L.A. Galaxy in a penalty kick situation, but this time RSL came out on the losing end, falling behind in PKs and never being able to get ahead.
After RSL's Javier Morales, Chris Schuler and Tony Beltran connected on three straight penalty kicks in must-make situations, Sebastian Velasquez had the chance to win it for Real. But his shot missed, and the shootout went on.
Two rounds later, Aurelien Collin hit the winner for Sporting KC.
During regulation, Alvaro Saborio gave Real the 1-0 lead in the second half, but Sporting KC struck minutes later to tie the game at 1-1.
The game then headed into overtime, where neither team was able to get an advantage, ensuring the championship contest would be decided by penalty kicks.
Deseret News RSL web sports writer Whitney O'Bannon posted updates during today's MLS Cup between Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas City in addition to posting commentary from social media. Follow her on Twitter at @whitney_oban. You can read the final few minutes of the live blog below.
Because of the high volume of traffic, the live blog may take a minute or two to load. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 81
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14