I love lasagna, but I hate the mess and time it takes to make. All the different layers and each with additional steps even before the assembling process begins. I’m that person who pays for assembly, whether it’s a bike, shelves or even toys. I have no patience for parts and instructions. I want quick and easy.
That is why my spaghetti squash with ricotta is perfect when I want the flavors of lasagna without the hassle. Spaghetti squash is in season, and what better way to enjoy it than with a rich marinara and the creamy tanginess of ricotta cheese. And even better, this recipe is not only tasty and filling, it is also low-calorie. A full cup of spaghetti squash is only about 40 calories.
Belle’s Spaghetti Squash with Ricotta
1 spaghetti squash, halved length-wise with seeds removed
1½ cups marinara sauce
½ cup ricotta cheese
Place squash cut side down on a microwavable plate. Microwave for about 12 minutes or until squash is very tender.
Scoop out the squash using a fork to separate the strands. Using paper towels, blot out as much of the moisture as possible. Place the squash in a large mixing bowl. Add the marinara and mix well. Add the ricotta and stir in, leaving some chunks.
Place the mixture into a casserole dish and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 21
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 1