Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — An estimated 3,000 Utahns who receive unemployment insurance, funds for job training, and equipment and payroll on electronic cards may be affected by a data breach on JPMorgan Chase's bank servers.
JPMorgan Chase holds a state contract to deliver the benefits administered by the state Department of Workforce Services. Some 97,000 Utahns receive benefits on UCards, but early estimates suggest about 3,000 may have been impacted by the breach.
Nic Dunn, spokesman for DWS, said JPMorgan Chase informed state officials on Thursday about the breach, which occurred between July 17 and Sept. 17.
DWS executive director Jon Pierpont said the department is committed to protecting Utahns' personal information and is working closely with JPMorgan Chase to protect clients' information.
"It is very frustrating that such a breach occurred on JPMorgan’s servers, and we are carefully reviewing our relationship with the bank. Our No. 1 priority is providing secure, quality service to our customers, and we will work to ensure all our private sector partners maintain that standard," Pierpont said in a prepared statement.
Dunn said JPMorgan Chase is attempting to learn more about the breach. Personal information such as names, addresses, and Social Security numbers, UCard number, passwords, logins and security questions are among the type of data that may have been breached.
As officials work to determine the scope of the compromised data and specific numbers of people who were impacted, the bank will provide one year of free credit monitoring to all 97,000 Utah customers potentially affected by the breach, he said.
Customers who have questions should contact JPMorgan directly at 866-849-5255.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 58
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17