High school basketball: Emery survives in overtime in a thriller against Beaver
Emery's boys basketball team played in another exciting game Wednesday night, this time against a tough Beaver team led by Michael Roberts.
This game headed to overtime, where Emery was able to penetrate in the extra session. Dillon Wilstead also got to the line and hit some clutch free throws, going 3-for-4 after a technical foul on Beaver as the Spartans prevailed, 57-56.
The Beavers had one last chance to win the game but a three-pointer rimmed out as time expired, handing the Spartans a hard-fought victory.
Wilstead came up big in the win, scoring 30 points while shooting 5-of-6 from three-point range.
“We knew that Beaver was pretty good so we had to come out with a lot of energy of toughness," Wilstead said. "I feel like Bailey and I find each other really well on the court. I’m thankful for my team and it was good win.”
Roberts was big for Beaver with 26 points, hitting some important shots.
The game started out in Emery’s favor as the Spartans attacked the basket and penetrated Beaver’s defense, but it was a tight game through the first quarter with the Spartans only leading by four.
At the start of the second quarter, Emery began to build a 10-point lead, largely thanks to suffocating defense by Bay Faimalo and Wilstead. The two were able to force turnovers and get out on the break for easy buckets.
In the third, the Beavers came storming back with several three-point baskets and trailed only 42-38 at the end of the period.
The Spartans responded, getting their lead back up to nine in the fourth quarter. That wouldn’t last, as Beaver once again rallied and got within one on a three by Roberts. Emery was able to break a Beaver press and got the ball into the front court where Faimalo put in the layup to increase the lead to three with four seconds left.
On the ensuing possession, Roberts caught the ball at halfcourt, took a few dribbles and nailed the buzzer-beating, off-balanced three to tie the game as time expired.
Emery then prevailed in overtime.
Spartans coach Todd Jeffs saw some room for improvement but was also happy with the win.
“We played hard but made some mistakes giving away a 13-point lead," he said. "(It's) a great preseason game where we learned a lot.”
Faimalo put up 15 points, nine assists and five steals and Gavin McDermott came through with six points and seven rebounds, as well as key plays that didn’t show up in the stat sheet.
“I’m excited for this season," McDermott said. "I think we’re starting to mesh and play better together.”
Up next for Emery is a matchup with Parowan on Friday at the Sevier Valley Center.
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament championship live...
- 3A boys state tournament championship live...
- 4A boys state tournament championship live...
- High school boys basketball: Kearns marches...
- 2A boys state tournament central: Live stream...
- Prep boys basketball: Bengals turn back Darts...
- High school boys basketball: Dixie uses 4...
- 5A boys state tournament championship... 9
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's... 8
- BYU's Rose, Collinsworth praise Drury,... 6
- High school boys basketball: Son of... 6
- 4A boys basketball: Seljaas hits... 4
- Uintah River High claims state... 4
- Brad Rock: Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey eager... 3
- High school boys basketball: Kearns... 3