Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah: "I am deeply saddened by the passing of Nelson Mandela. He was a tireless voice for equality whose legacy will be forever honored not only in South Africa, but around the world. May we all remember, and be always inspired by, the bold example and steady leadership shown by President Mandela.”
Rep. Chris Stewart, R-Utah: "I'm saddened to hear of the passing of Nelson Mandela. He was a courageous leader who did so much for South Africa and was an example to so many around the world. On a personal note, I'll always remember some great words spoken by Mr. Mandela: 'I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.'"
Jeanetta Williams, NAACP Salt Lake Branch president: "Our nation is a better nation because of former President Mandela, and he made a difference to the world. He leaves a rich legacy and lived to see the many changes in Africa because of his works."
Norm Bangerter, former Utah governor and LDS mission president in South Africa: "He came out of prison with every reason to be personally mad at the world and to have a vendetta. But he didn't believe in white domination, and he didn't believe in black domination. I think he understood very clearly that you have to learn to work together. We could use a little of that in America today."
Former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, via Twitter: "In the modern age, Nelson Mandela will be remembered as an unsurpassed healer of human hearts."
Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., via Twitter: "Sad but not unexpected news out of South Africa. The human condition passes but President Mandela's soul lives on, and the world is grateful."
Contributing: McKenzie Romero
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Trial ordered for Springville coach accused...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14