Final report in Goblin Valley toppling on way to county attorney's office
Utah State Parks
CASTLE DALE — The case of two former Utah Boy Scout leaders involved in pushing over a rock formation in Goblin Valley State Park is on its way to the county attorney's office.
Utah State Parks issued a brief statement Thursday afternoon, stating that its investigators submitted their final report on the Goblin Valley rock-toppling incident to the Emery County Attorney's Office.
"An electronic version has been filed. A hard copy and all the supporting documents will get to them next week," said Eugene Swalberg, spokesman for Utah State Parks.
Swalberg said he did not know if investigators recommended any particular charges to the county attorney. He also did not know how long it would be before the county attorney makes a decision on what, if any, charges to file.
Emery County Attorney David Blackwell earlier admitted he was struggling over what appropriate charges to file.
Highland residents Dave Hall and Glenn Taylor received worldwide attention — nearly all of it negative — and sparked outrage after posting a video of themselves pushing over a 170 million-year-old rock formation known as a goblin or hoodoo. The men and Taylor's son are seen laughing and high-fiving each other after pushing over the formation.
The men claimed they didn't want the boulder to fall on anybody. The Boy Scouts of America condemned the action as disappointing and reprehensible, and removed them from their positions.
One state lawmaker recently announced he is drafting a measure to make stronger penalties against anyone who commits similar acts.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 44
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 20
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11