Final report in Goblin Valley toppling on way to county attorney's office
Utah State Parks
CASTLE DALE — The case of two former Utah Boy Scout leaders involved in pushing over a rock formation in Goblin Valley State Park is on its way to the county attorney's office.
Utah State Parks issued a brief statement Thursday afternoon, stating that its investigators submitted their final report on the Goblin Valley rock-toppling incident to the Emery County Attorney's Office.
"An electronic version has been filed. A hard copy and all the supporting documents will get to them next week," said Eugene Swalberg, spokesman for Utah State Parks.
Swalberg said he did not know if investigators recommended any particular charges to the county attorney. He also did not know how long it would be before the county attorney makes a decision on what, if any, charges to file.
Emery County Attorney David Blackwell earlier admitted he was struggling over what appropriate charges to file.
Highland residents Dave Hall and Glenn Taylor received worldwide attention — nearly all of it negative — and sparked outrage after posting a video of themselves pushing over a 170 million-year-old rock formation known as a goblin or hoodoo. The men and Taylor's son are seen laughing and high-fiving each other after pushing over the formation.
The men claimed they didn't want the boulder to fall on anybody. The Boy Scouts of America condemned the action as disappointing and reprehensible, and removed them from their positions.
One state lawmaker recently announced he is drafting a measure to make stronger penalties against anyone who commits similar acts.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 288
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 125
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45