Final report in Goblin Valley toppling on way to county attorney's office
Utah State Parks
CASTLE DALE — The case of two former Utah Boy Scout leaders involved in pushing over a rock formation in Goblin Valley State Park is on its way to the county attorney's office.
Utah State Parks issued a brief statement Thursday afternoon, stating that its investigators submitted their final report on the Goblin Valley rock-toppling incident to the Emery County Attorney's Office.
"An electronic version has been filed. A hard copy and all the supporting documents will get to them next week," said Eugene Swalberg, spokesman for Utah State Parks.
Swalberg said he did not know if investigators recommended any particular charges to the county attorney. He also did not know how long it would be before the county attorney makes a decision on what, if any, charges to file.
Emery County Attorney David Blackwell earlier admitted he was struggling over what appropriate charges to file.
Highland residents Dave Hall and Glenn Taylor received worldwide attention — nearly all of it negative — and sparked outrage after posting a video of themselves pushing over a 170 million-year-old rock formation known as a goblin or hoodoo. The men and Taylor's son are seen laughing and high-fiving each other after pushing over the formation.
The men claimed they didn't want the boulder to fall on anybody. The Boy Scouts of America condemned the action as disappointing and reprehensible, and removed them from their positions.
One state lawmaker recently announced he is drafting a measure to make stronger penalties against anyone who commits similar acts.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16