RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando wins second consecutive MLS Save of the Year honor
For the second straight season, Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando has earned the MLS Save of the Year honor.
Rimando, who finished second this year in the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting to Portland's Donovan Ricketts, was voted the winner by an online fan vote. His double-save against the Colorado Rapids on Aug. 3 collected nearly 30 percent of the fan vote after the award voting came down to four finalists.
Rimando made the save in the 53rd minute that day when Colorado's Jaime Castrillon flicked a header toward the far post. The goalie made a diving save to his left, but the ball then deflected off Real defender Nat Borchers back toward the goal line. Rimando again acted quickly and ran to the other side of the net to knock away the ball again for the double-save.
Rimando won the 2012 MLS Save of the Year honors for a reaction stop on then-Sporting KC's Kei Kemara. He won the MLS Save of the Week award nine times this season.
Up next for Rimando and Real Salt Lake is a date in the MLS Cup on Saturday (2 p.m. MST, ESPN) against Sporting KC.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 53
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28