RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando wins second consecutive MLS Save of the Year honor
For the second straight season, Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando has earned the MLS Save of the Year honor.
Rimando, who finished second this year in the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting to Portland's Donovan Ricketts, was voted the winner by an online fan vote. His double-save against the Colorado Rapids on Aug. 3 collected nearly 30 percent of the fan vote after the award voting came down to four finalists.
Rimando made the save in the 53rd minute that day when Colorado's Jaime Castrillon flicked a header toward the far post. The goalie made a diving save to his left, but the ball then deflected off Real defender Nat Borchers back toward the goal line. Rimando again acted quickly and ran to the other side of the net to knock away the ball again for the double-save.
Rimando won the 2012 MLS Save of the Year honors for a reaction stop on then-Sporting KC's Kei Kemara. He won the MLS Save of the Week award nine times this season.
Up next for Rimando and Real Salt Lake is a date in the MLS Cup on Saturday (2 p.m. MST, ESPN) against Sporting KC.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21