RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando wins second consecutive MLS Save of the Year honor
For the second straight season, Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando has earned the MLS Save of the Year honor.
Rimando, who finished second this year in the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting to Portland's Donovan Ricketts, was voted the winner by an online fan vote. His double-save against the Colorado Rapids on Aug. 3 collected nearly 30 percent of the fan vote after the award voting came down to four finalists.
Rimando made the save in the 53rd minute that day when Colorado's Jaime Castrillon flicked a header toward the far post. The goalie made a diving save to his left, but the ball then deflected off Real defender Nat Borchers back toward the goal line. Rimando again acted quickly and ran to the other side of the net to knock away the ball again for the double-save.
Rimando won the 2012 MLS Save of the Year honors for a reaction stop on then-Sporting KC's Kei Kemara. He won the MLS Save of the Week award nine times this season.
Up next for Rimando and Real Salt Lake is a date in the MLS Cup on Saturday (2 p.m. MST, ESPN) against Sporting KC.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 46
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27