RSL goalkeeper Nick Rimando wins second consecutive MLS Save of the Year honor
For the second straight season, Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando has earned the MLS Save of the Year honor.
Rimando, who finished second this year in the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting to Portland's Donovan Ricketts, was voted the winner by an online fan vote. His double-save against the Colorado Rapids on Aug. 3 collected nearly 30 percent of the fan vote after the award voting came down to four finalists.
Rimando made the save in the 53rd minute that day when Colorado's Jaime Castrillon flicked a header toward the far post. The goalie made a diving save to his left, but the ball then deflected off Real defender Nat Borchers back toward the goal line. Rimando again acted quickly and ran to the other side of the net to knock away the ball again for the double-save.
Rimando won the 2012 MLS Save of the Year honors for a reaction stop on then-Sporting KC's Kei Kemara. He won the MLS Save of the Week award nine times this season.
Up next for Rimando and Real Salt Lake is a date in the MLS Cup on Saturday (2 p.m. MST, ESPN) against Sporting KC.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37