Utah judge could be first to rule on state marriage law since DOMA
Utahns approved Amendment 3 with 66 percent of the vote. "It's impossible to consider that 66 percent of the population of Utah is bigoted against homosexuals. It's simply not the fact," Lott said.
Purser argued that Utah has a legitimate interest to define marriage as it does because it promotes responsible procreation and is the "gold standard" for rearing children.
Lott said afterward that the "preferred" way and the best environment to bring up children is with a biological mother and father.
"It's the situation that's existed for millenia. It's the traditional way that families are organized," he said.
In court, Shelby at one point asked Lott the difference between the rights of a same-sex or heterosexual couple to get married.
"Procreation is the difference," Lott said. "A same-sex couple is not going to reproduce."
Tomsic took issue with that stance.
"Procreation has never, ever, ever been a condition for a marriage license," she told the judge. Same-sex couples, she said, can and do have children in several ways.
After the hearing, Sbeity and Kitchen said they didn't think the state's arguments about procreation have any relevance to their case.
"Our case is that we want to get married," Sbeity said. "We did not touch on procreation or children at all."
Added Kitchen, "We're not fighting about children. It's about getting married."
Twitter: dennisromboy; DNewsPolitics
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13