Woman stole van, but returned after finding baby in back, police say
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman who police say stole a van apparently had a change of heart after discovering that a small child was still in the vehicle.
Just before 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jose Rubao said he was taking his 2-year-old son, Emanuel, to daycare, when he ran back inside his business near 800 South and 800 West to grab his boy's blanket. He said he was away from his vehicle, which he left running to keep it warm, only seconds.
But when he came back, the van and Emanuel were gone.
"I was thinking I would not see my baby anymore. I was so scared," he said.
According to a Salt Lake County Jail report: "Her intent was to take the vehicle and take it to her dad's house."
But as she was driving off, the woman realized there was a child in the back seat. Rubao said his son was awake during the incident.
As Rubao was scrambling to try and find his van and call 911, the woman returned to the scene.
"I heard something about she (said) she saw the baby and she felt bad. That's what I heard she (said)," he said.
As someone took Emanuel inside Rubao's cab company, a waiting cab customer held onto the woman until police arrived about two minutes later.
Juana Marie Valdez, 27, was arrested for investigation of possession of a stolen vehicle.
The alleged theft happened on the same day that a petition for child custody was filed against Valdez, according to 3rd District Court records, which also show that she has a history of drug and other convictions.
Contributing: Sandra Yi
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11