BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes father Marty on BYU's all-time scoring list
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — Tyler Haws is now the family scoring king.
The junior guard passed his father, Marty Haws, on BYU’s all-time scoring list early in the second half of the Cougars' win over North Texas on Tuesday with his 19th point of the game. The score gave him 1,338 total points for his career — besting his father's mark of 1,337, which is good for 20th place on the Cougars' all-time list.
“Yeah, I might talk to him a little bit at the dinner table. I have bragging rights now," Tyler quipped in the postgame press conference Tuesday night following BYU's 97-67 win.
Marty, who starred for BYU during the late '80s (1984-85, 1986-90), was not in attendance to see Tyler break his mark — preferring instead to watch his other son, TJ, play a game for Lone Peak High School.
"Now I'm starting to see why he wasn't there," joked Tyler.
Haws was told about the possibility of breaking his father's record leading up to Tuesday's game, but put any thought of it aside.
“When you start your college career you don’t think about any of that stuff,” Haws said. “I knew my dad had a great career here, but I never thought about that.”
Haws became familiar with his father's career through watching old videotapes of games at his grandpa's. What he saw was a fierce competitor who left it all on the floor.
"We laugh, my brother and I, at the tapes because he’s always yapping at the refs and getting in guys' faces," Tyler said.
Haws has grown to emulate a lot of the qualities Marty brought to the court — but not all of them.
“I don’t know what happened to me, but I’m not as fast as he was,” Haws said. “He was great in transition — similar to what I like to do. He was a good team guy and really a competitor."
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has recovered...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 145
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 97
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 94
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 86
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 69
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 37
- Playoffs ‘almost... 34
- Utah football fall practice position... 23