Home-school culture shifting away from religious ties
Global Village School, a home-schooling organization that offers online and text-based curriculum, decided to shift its marketing focus in recent months toward secular students due to demand, said Gretchen Buck, the school's manager. She said part of this increased interest in home-schooling is from parents who think their children aren't getting enough attention in public schools.
“We’re not looking to fit all the square pegs in little round holes,” she said of her company's curriculum.
Peschel said public schools also don't have the materials and resources for optimal learning, like textbooks or writing utensils. Sometimes students can't take home a textbook to further develop their understanding, leaving them with less homework and less time to study.
“You want them to learn the material, but the only time they can learn it is when they’re in the class,” Peschel said.
“They’re just not being helped,” Parnell said. “They’re getting passed along."
Another reason for the rise in new home-schoolers is because parents don’t see the traditional classroom setting as helpful for their children, Buck said.
“It doesn’t fit them, and they don’t do well at a traditional desk,” she said.
Parents, then, are taking it upon themselves to start teaching, Parnell said, as they believe they can teach their children better than public school teachers.
"Parents are saying, ‘I want control back,’ ” Parnell said.
In many cases, home-schooling parents will choose to home-school as a “last resort,” Edelson said, when the traditional educational system isn’t working.
“They get all fired up when they get into it and see the possibilities," Edelson said.
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- Why many churches can't endorse political...
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go' players
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at Republican...
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this...
- 5 diverse appeals to God that were just made...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 31
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 25
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go'... 9