Home-school culture shifting away from religious ties
Global Village School, a home-schooling organization that offers online and text-based curriculum, decided to shift its marketing focus in recent months toward secular students due to demand, said Gretchen Buck, the school's manager. She said part of this increased interest in home-schooling is from parents who think their children aren't getting enough attention in public schools.
“We’re not looking to fit all the square pegs in little round holes,” she said of her company's curriculum.
Peschel said public schools also don't have the materials and resources for optimal learning, like textbooks or writing utensils. Sometimes students can't take home a textbook to further develop their understanding, leaving them with less homework and less time to study.
“You want them to learn the material, but the only time they can learn it is when they’re in the class,” Peschel said.
“They’re just not being helped,” Parnell said. “They’re getting passed along."
Another reason for the rise in new home-schoolers is because parents don’t see the traditional classroom setting as helpful for their children, Buck said.
“It doesn’t fit them, and they don’t do well at a traditional desk,” she said.
Parents, then, are taking it upon themselves to start teaching, Parnell said, as they believe they can teach their children better than public school teachers.
"Parents are saying, ‘I want control back,’ ” Parnell said.
In many cases, home-schooling parents will choose to home-school as a “last resort,” Edelson said, when the traditional educational system isn’t working.
“They get all fired up when they get into it and see the possibilities," Edelson said.
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Religious freedom and economic growth linked...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- The Clean Cut: LDS First Presidency shares...
- 'Jesus the Christ Study Guide' commemorates...
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 19
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 14
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 13
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- North Ogden to make Nativity display... 8
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 6
- Wright Words: My friend David is... 6
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 5