Utah Valley University 285-pound junior Adam Fager (Layton, Utah/Layton HS) was named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week after his performance on the mat last week. The conference award was announced Tuesday by the league.
Fager led UVU at the Stanford Duals over the weekend by going a perfect 3-0 with a pin. The junior, who recently fell out of the InterMat rankings with a pair of losses two weeks ago, bounced back Saturday with a 7-5 sudden victory decision over No. 10 Nebraska's Collin Jensen, a 7-4 decision over Bakersfield's Sammy Cervantes and a third-period fall over No. 18 Stanford's Josh Marchok (6:34).
With the dual tournament beginning at heavyweight, Fager helped the Wolverines get off to a solid start in each contest. He also helped Utah Valley hold on to defeat the Roadrunners, 19-16, with his decision over CSUB's Cervantes, and his pin over Stanford's Marchok gave UVU a chance against the ranked Cardinal as the Wolverines ended up dropping that dual by just four points, 20-16.
With the three wins, the 2013 NCAA qualifier is now 5-2 on the season.
The conference honor is Fager's first of the season and second of his career.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its eighth year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
North Dakota State: Hunter Weber, 125 pounds, RFr. (Marshall, Wis./Marshall HS)
South Dakota State: Cody Pack, 157 pounds, Jr. (Quincy, Calif./Quincy HS)
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU wrestling: Utah Valley’s Rauser...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley travels to play...
- Braun scores 34 points; Grand Canyon beats...
- James 'Iron Cowboy' Lawrence speaks to UVU...
- College wrestling: Utah Valley opens trip...
- UVU wrestling: Forfeit dooms UVU in 27-19...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley falls 99-88 at...
- Report: Higher starting wages part of... 2
- Grand Canyon on the rise, on and off... 0
- UVU softball: Utah Valley drops... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines hold off WAC... 0
- UVU softball: Utah Valley drops series... 0
- UVU baseball: Seattle U clinches series... 0
- UVU golf: Wolverines finish third,... 0
- BYU baseball: game at Utah Valley... 0