LDS general authorities make appearance at BYU, Utah State basketball game
SALT LAKE CITY — Saturday night's basketball game featuring the Utah State Aggies and Brigham Young University Cougars at the EnergySolutions Arena brought basketball fans from all over the state, including several general authorities for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Elder L. Tom Perry and Elder Russell M. Nelson, who are members of the Quorum of the Twelve, were both shown on the BYUtv broadcast multiple times. Elder Perry was born in Logan, Utah, and received his bachelor's degree from Utah State University, while Elder Nelson received his bachelor's degree and medical degree from the University of Utah.
Even though the Aggies and Cougars were playing on a neutral court, the game was engaging for fans on either side.
"It was a great crowd, a great atmosphere, and I’m really proud of our guys for making some key plays down the stretch," BYU coach Dave Rose told Brandon Gurney of the Deseret News.
BYU won the game, 85-74, and handed the Aggies their first loss of the season.
This isn't the first time an LDS general authority has attended a basketball game at the EnergySolutions Arena. In fact, LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson has also been seen in the stands during Utah Jazz basketball games.
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- LDS Church releases statement after vandals...
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder Keith...
- Mormon woman will be first female West Point...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- One organization demands 25 public...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- Broadway's 'Cinderella' talks about love for...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 235
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 104
- LDS Church releases statement after... 27
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 23
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 15
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder... 7
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 6
- President Eyring dedicates first temple... 5