Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, in an op-ed published in the Deseret News on Nov. 27, encouraged Utahns to participate in the global day of giving.
"Utahns are generous people, which is why our state leads the nation in charitable giving and in voluntarism. This culture of compassion is part of what makes Utah an enviable place to live. My hope is that the #GivingTuesday movement will encourage Utahns to go to even greater lengths to care for those in need," Herbert wrote.
To participate, donors should select a charity, nonprofit organization or educational foundation or other organization, make a contribution and tweet about it using the #GivingTuesday hashtag.
The goal of the movement, according to charitynavigator.org, is to encourage "retailers, charities, online organizations, community centers, individuals and families to come together with one common purpose — to help others and incentivize ways to give more, give smarter and celebrate the great American spirit of generosity through charitable contributions and volunteerism."
Herbert urged Utahns to forgo going to the movies or eating out, and "use that money to help change someone's life for the better."
Trujillo, with the assistance of YWCA Utah, said she's optimistic about her future.
"I'm so glad we're going to move into a new place," she said.
On Monday, Trujillo purchased a used stroller that will better suit her growing family.
"I gave mine to another family here," she said.
In ways big and small, it's important to give back.
"Every little bit can help," Trujillo said.
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Wind-fueled fire rips through large Draper home
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches...
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Woman, 69, fights off carjacker who then sets...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 30
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 27
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 16