Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, in an op-ed published in the Deseret News on Nov. 27, encouraged Utahns to participate in the global day of giving.
"Utahns are generous people, which is why our state leads the nation in charitable giving and in voluntarism. This culture of compassion is part of what makes Utah an enviable place to live. My hope is that the #GivingTuesday movement will encourage Utahns to go to even greater lengths to care for those in need," Herbert wrote.
To participate, donors should select a charity, nonprofit organization or educational foundation or other organization, make a contribution and tweet about it using the #GivingTuesday hashtag.
The goal of the movement, according to charitynavigator.org, is to encourage "retailers, charities, online organizations, community centers, individuals and families to come together with one common purpose — to help others and incentivize ways to give more, give smarter and celebrate the great American spirit of generosity through charitable contributions and volunteerism."
Herbert urged Utahns to forgo going to the movies or eating out, and "use that money to help change someone's life for the better."
Trujillo, with the assistance of YWCA Utah, said she's optimistic about her future.
"I'm so glad we're going to move into a new place," she said.
On Monday, Trujillo purchased a used stroller that will better suit her growing family.
"I gave mine to another family here," she said.
In ways big and small, it's important to give back.
"Every little bit can help," Trujillo said.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Family frustrated with lack of charges in...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- Smithfield man stabbed father to death after...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18