BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss Utah USA, Marissa Powell
Kyle Van Noy Twitter account
This past weekend, BYU linebacker and All-American Kyle Van Noy returned to his hometown to play his last season game. The Cougars took on Nevada Saturday afternoon, and even with a slow start, they were able to come home with a win — but Van Noy came home with much more.
Posted to social media Sunday night, the NFL-bound senior announced his engagement to Marissa Powell, Miss Utah USA 2013. Powell is an athlete herself, playing volleyball at Skyline high school and for one year at Westminster College. Powell was the Deseret News First Team All-State 5A Defensive Specialist of the Year in 2009.
Many Twitter followers have expressed excitement for the couple, including former BYU star Jimmer Fredette.
Congrats to @KVN_03 for his engagement tonight! Happy for you man!— Jimmer Fredette (@jimmerfredette) December 1, 2013
"She has been a very big influence in my life, and I was able to be there for her in a time of need. That’s kind of why I got off social media because of the criticism she took and not being able to stick up for her," Van Noy told Dick Harmon of the Deseret News.
"When you see a friend you know very well and you know she is a 4.0 student and you know she is one of the smarter than smart and you see her fumble like that on a national scale was hard. I think she has had more supporters now than people who have criticized her.”
Van Noy later referred to Powell as being a tremendous human being, stating, "You couldn’t ask for a sweeter, nicer, more genuine girl."
Powell has also mentioned her relationship with Van Noy, during an interview with Shauna Lake on KUTV, Powell expressed her appreciation for him.
"We've been dating on and off for the past couple of years, and he's been great. He's been really supportive," Powell told Lake. "He's pushed me up and helped me in his own way."
Both Van Noy and Powell are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- LDS faith helps keep things in perspective...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS Church releases statement on construction...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- ABC's 'Nightline' takes a look into the lives...
- Pixar president speaks on creative culture at...
- BYUtv releases 'New Day for the Book of...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 171
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 61
- LDS position on gay, religious rights... 52
- The LDS Church's call for balance... 37
- Defending the Faith: Rethinking... 29
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 26
- LDS Church releases statement on... 26
- Mitt Romney calls Utah home, could open... 20