Kyle Van Noy Twitter account
This past weekend, BYU linebacker and All-American Kyle Van Noy returned to his hometown to play his last season game. The Cougars took on Nevada Saturday afternoon, and even with a slow start, they were able to come home with a win — but Van Noy came home with much more.
Posted to social media Sunday night, the NFL-bound senior announced his engagement to Marissa Powell, Miss Utah USA 2013. Powell is an athlete herself, playing volleyball at Skyline high school and for one year at Westminster College. Powell was the Deseret News First Team All-State 5A Defensive Specialist of the Year in 2009.
Many Twitter followers have expressed excitement for the couple, including former BYU star Jimmer Fredette.
Congrats to @KVN_03 for his engagement tonight! Happy for you man!— Jimmer Fredette (@jimmerfredette) December 1, 2013
"She has been a very big influence in my life, and I was able to be there for her in a time of need. That’s kind of why I got off social media because of the criticism she took and not being able to stick up for her," Van Noy told Dick Harmon of the Deseret News.
"When you see a friend you know very well and you know she is a 4.0 student and you know she is one of the smarter than smart and you see her fumble like that on a national scale was hard. I think she has had more supporters now than people who have criticized her.”
Van Noy later referred to Powell as being a tremendous human being, stating, "You couldn’t ask for a sweeter, nicer, more genuine girl."
Powell has also mentioned her relationship with Van Noy, during an interview with Shauna Lake on KUTV, Powell expressed her appreciation for him.
"We've been dating on and off for the past couple of years, and he's been great. He's been really supportive," Powell told Lake. "He's pushed me up and helped me in his own way."
Both Van Noy and Powell are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how Americans...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Good friends are...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 98
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 59
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 41
- When Satan steals your motherhood 40
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20