Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience for football hire, again
6. Two years later to keep Sarkisian the next season, Carroll elevated him to assistant head coach and offensive coordinator while keeping his duties as quarterback coach.
7. After firing Lane Kiffin in the middle of this past season, USC turned to Sarkisian this week and hired him from the University of Washington where he worked his first head coaching job.
“They’ve all been good men and coaches,” said Edwards. “Don James had it going pretty good, and then Washington struggled a little. Steve came in and did a great job there, proving he is an asset.”
The Sarkisian hire is a good one for a myriad of reasons.
He’s a local kid, a proven commodity as a coach, a Trojan insider in recruiting, marketing, and media personality, and is fully aware and capable of mingling with and uniting a frustrated and anxious Trojan booster group.
But most of all, Sarkisian brings to USC, a treasure trove of offensive experience and knowledge, a great chunk of which he gained in Provo from Norm Chow, Lance Reynolds and LaVell Edwards.
USC has always been able to attract great talent. This year, USC’s defense was atop the Pac 12, but the offense struggled, even with one of the top receivers in the country.
What Sarkisian brings to the Trojans is a proven philosophy. In applying it to USC talent, he will immediately elevate the NCAA-penalty-plagued program, just when USC is coming out of a bad-boy coma. He has been a coach with the Trojans for seven seasons since 2001.
It couldn’t be a better fit for both parties.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Doug Robinson: The one position the Utes...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30