Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience for football hire, again
6. Two years later to keep Sarkisian the next season, Carroll elevated him to assistant head coach and offensive coordinator while keeping his duties as quarterback coach.
7. After firing Lane Kiffin in the middle of this past season, USC turned to Sarkisian this week and hired him from the University of Washington where he worked his first head coaching job.
“They’ve all been good men and coaches,” said Edwards. “Don James had it going pretty good, and then Washington struggled a little. Steve came in and did a great job there, proving he is an asset.”
The Sarkisian hire is a good one for a myriad of reasons.
He’s a local kid, a proven commodity as a coach, a Trojan insider in recruiting, marketing, and media personality, and is fully aware and capable of mingling with and uniting a frustrated and anxious Trojan booster group.
But most of all, Sarkisian brings to USC, a treasure trove of offensive experience and knowledge, a great chunk of which he gained in Provo from Norm Chow, Lance Reynolds and LaVell Edwards.
USC has always been able to attract great talent. This year, USC’s defense was atop the Pac 12, but the offense struggled, even with one of the top receivers in the country.
What Sarkisian brings to the Trojans is a proven philosophy. In applying it to USC talent, he will immediately elevate the NCAA-penalty-plagued program, just when USC is coming out of a bad-boy coma. He has been a coach with the Trojans for seven seasons since 2001.
It couldn’t be a better fit for both parties.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 74
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 47
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 34
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20