Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for faith and character as well as 'Fast & Furious' films
Deseret News Archive
Actor Paul Walker, who is known for his role as Brian O’Conner in "The Fast and the Furious” movies, died in a car accident Nov. 30. But in addition to his films, Walker also leaves behind a legacy of faith and generosity.
According to the Christian Post, Walker grew up a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Glendale, Calif. Although he was not an active Mormon in his adult years, Walker remained a Christian.
"The people I don't understand are atheists,” Walker said, according to his IMDb bio. “I go surfing and snowboarding, and I'm always around nature. I look at everything and think, 'Who couldn't believe there's a God? Is all this a mistake?' It just blows me away.”
Walker is remembered by many as a charitable man, who wanted to help others. According to CNN, a decade ago Walker generously purchased a wedding ring for a U.S. soldier who could not afford one for his fiancée.
"The groom was just back from duty in Iraq, and he was going to be deployed again soon and wanted to buy a wedding ring, but he said he just could not afford it," Irene King, the saleswoman said in an interview with CNN. "I don't think the soldier realized how expensive those rings are, about $10,000.”
Walker is survived by his teenage daughter, Meadow, and he channeled much of his energy into caring for her.
“I’m into being a dad,” Walker said, according to IMDb.com. “That’s where my focus is most of the time. I’m an actor — that’s my job, but it’s not my life.”
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 17
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 12
- Russians' views on religion are... 9
- LDS World: Western author Wallace... 6