Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for faith and character as well as 'Fast & Furious' films
Deseret News Archive
Actor Paul Walker, who is known for his role as Brian O’Conner in "The Fast and the Furious” movies, died in a car accident Nov. 30. But in addition to his films, Walker also leaves behind a legacy of faith and generosity.
According to the Christian Post, Walker grew up a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Glendale, Calif. Although he was not an active Mormon in his adult years, Walker remained a Christian.
"The people I don't understand are atheists,” Walker said, according to his IMDb bio. “I go surfing and snowboarding, and I'm always around nature. I look at everything and think, 'Who couldn't believe there's a God? Is all this a mistake?' It just blows me away.”
Walker is remembered by many as a charitable man, who wanted to help others. According to CNN, a decade ago Walker generously purchased a wedding ring for a U.S. soldier who could not afford one for his fiancée.
"The groom was just back from duty in Iraq, and he was going to be deployed again soon and wanted to buy a wedding ring, but he said he just could not afford it," Irene King, the saleswoman said in an interview with CNN. "I don't think the soldier realized how expensive those rings are, about $10,000.”
Walker is survived by his teenage daughter, Meadow, and he channeled much of his energy into caring for her.
“I’m into being a dad,” Walker said, according to IMDb.com. “That’s where my focus is most of the time. I’m an actor — that’s my job, but it’s not my life.”
- LDS leaders announce new teaching manual,...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- LDS leader speaks to young adults about...
- Elder and Sister Renlund speak during BYU...
- Why pray? Different faiths are united over...
- Music and the Spoken Word: The time to prepare
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- One year ago, founding member of SEAL Team...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 94
- LDS leader speaks to young adults about... 38
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 33
- LDS leaders announce new teaching... 28
- Why pray? Different faiths are united... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to... 12
- The positive role religion plays in... 8
- LDS Church member appointed to US... 6