Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve Sarkisian hired to be next head coach at USC
ESPN reported the news Monday, citing multiple sources, and the Associated Press announced the news as well, though neither Washington nor USC have made an announcement.
Sarkisian is in his fifth year as head coach of the Huskies program. During that time, he has amassed a 34-29 record, including 24-21 during Pac-12 play.
The former Cougar was on the Trojans' coaching staff from 2001-03, then again from 2005-08. He worked with two Heisman Trophy winners — Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. During Sarkisian's time as the team's offensive coordinator in 2007 and ’08, USC went 22-3.
Sarkisian will replace Ed Orgeron, who led the Trojans to a 6-2 record after Lane Kiffin was fired in late September.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Sarkisian interviewed for the position over the weekend. Boise State's Chris Petersen and Vanderbilt's James Franklin were also strong candidates, according to ESPN, but Petersen withdrew himself from consideration.
Sarkisian played at BYU in 1995 and ’96 and finished his Cougar career with 7,464 passing yards and 53 touchdown passes. He also led BYU to a victory in the Cotton Bowl over Kansas State his senior season.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37