Kersten Swinyard, Deseret News
CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK — The popular Hickman Bridge Trailhead has reopened after repairs.
A significant rockfall occurred at the trailhead off state Route 24 on March 23, 2012. Several hundred tons of material fell, blocking the only trail access to Hickman Bridge. The trailhead was officially closed upon discovery of the rockfall.
Due to the size of the rockfall, additional precautions were taken before the trailhead was reopened. The trailhead has been delineated, and the trail has been realigned around the debris pile. The work was accomplished with assistance from the Rocky Mountain National Park trail crew.
A portion of a retaining wall just beyond the rockfall was washed out during flooding in September. Hikers are advised to use caution when hiking through this area. Masonry work will be performed in the spring as warmer temperatures allow.
The 2-mile round-trip trail provides great views of the reef, Capitol Dome and Hickman Bridge, and also provides access to the Rim Overlook and Navajo Knobs Trail.
Caution is advised while hiking and visiting all locations in canyon country. Inherent dangers exist, including rockfall hazard, flash floods, loose footing and lightning. Stay alert, be aware of hazardous conditions and check with the visitors center staff for additional updates or weather conditions.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 23