Utah Jazz: Trey Burke got confidence boost from Suns coach Jeff Hornacek — and his own coach
Burke was one of seven Jazz players with 12 or more points, including nice bench production from forward Jeremy Evans (12 points) and guard Alec Burks (13 points). Utah shot a sizzling 51.3 percent and scored one more point than its previous season high.
It was as confidently as the Jazz have played all season on the road, where they’d gone 0-9 before this win.
As for Burke, the 6-1 athlete had the kind of game many expected he would after being the first point guard drafted in the NBA’s Class of 2013.
Interestingly, the No. 9 pick ended up in Utah after being traded from Minnesota, but he didn’t work out for the Jazz leading up to the draft.
Burke did work out this past spring for Phoenix, which ended up selecting 7-foot-1 center Alex Len with the No. 5 selection in June.
The Jazz point guard came away impressed with Hornacek, who’d just taken Phoenix’s vacant coaching job.
“I had the opportunity to work out with the Suns this summer, and he’s one of the coolest coaches,” Burke said. “I didn’t know him, (but) just being around him for two hours, he was really cool. He made me feel comfortable. He pushed me through the workout. Afterwards, he actually talked to me and gave me some advice.”
The Jazz can thank Hornacek later.
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 78
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24