Police seeking two suspects in Kearns home invasion
Jordan Allred, Deseret News
KEARNS — Police are investigating a home invasion incident that left a 17-year-old boy in the hospital with a gunshot wound.
The victim called 911 around 7:40 p.m. reporting that he was home alone and discovered someone with a gun in his home at 5292 S. Leprechaun Lane (5280 West), Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said. The teenager reported that the gun was pointed at him when the call was disconnected.
Soon after, the victim called back to report that he had exchanged gunfire with the man and had been shot. He was transported to an area hospital in fair condition, Hoyal said.
The victim left the scene before he could give an extensive interview, but it is believed that he did not know the suspects.
Hoyal said the suspects were described as two African American men — one of whom was wearing blue jeans and the other was in black pants. One of them was reportedly wearing a knit cap or ski mask.
Hoyal said both men fled from the home on foot and headed east.
Police searched the area with the help of K-9s, but found no one. They were seeking a search warrant for the home to look for additional evidence.
"Usually there's a robbery or some sort of motive," Hoyal said. "We don't kmow what the motive was for the suspects being in the home."
Those with information about the incident have been asked to call Unified Police at 801-743-7000.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 33
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11