Westminster basketball: Skidmore leads Griffins to big victory
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s basketball team completed a perfect weekend to win the Westminster Thanksgiving Classic with an 88-47 win over Pacific Union (Calif.) on Saturday night in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster (6-4) put together another solid effort on the defensive end as it limited Pacific Union (0-11) to 31.8 percent shooting. The Griffins forced 31 turnovers in the games, which they turned into 42 points, to earn back-to-back victories since the opening weekend of the seasons.
Trailing 12-11 at the 14:36 mark of the first half, Westminster held the visitors without a field goal for over 17 minutes as the Griffins outscored the Pioneers, 49-10. The Griffins created 21 turnovers during the span and saw PUC miss 11 straight shot attempts.
Blake Skidmore scored 17 of his game-high 22 points during the span, and he was one of three Griffins to reach double figures in the game. His 8-of-14 shooting night anchored a season-high 52.6 percent shooting for the team. Westminster had 40 points in the paint and also scored 12 fast break points.
Tallon Robertson added 17 points and six rebounds for the Griffins. He shot 8-of-9 from the floor with one block and one steal. Casey Evans led a 31 point effort for the Westminster bench with a career-high 14 points.
Pacific Union was led by 12 points from Taureaus Maxwell and 10 points apiece by Trevor Nogueira and Jordan Greenwell. The pioneers had a 35-31 edge on the boards with 15 offensive rebounds.
Westminster returns to action Dec. 7, when it opens Frontier Conference play in Dillon, Mont., against No. 8 Montana Western.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21